diy solar

diy solar

Boost MPPTs

sunshine_eggo

Happy Breffast!
I've used the MPT-7210 in the past and it does its job. Limited to 10A so higher battery voltage is the way to go. With one panel I could get 1kWh a day on a 24V system. They power of the solar so they will start to charge a flat battery. Fan is noisy but this all comes from the mesh. Cut it out and all silent.

I use these, they're awesome ?
Which one in particular? Is it configureable and/or have a custom battery profile?

I could see getting one of these in the future. I didn't think they were really viable.

Do any of the tier 1 makers sell something like this? Maybe something in blue, and smart.

This is the inside of the ECO ECO3.jpg

and this is the RENOGY Rover proving once again that RENOGY is crap. They put a 30A fuse in series with a 10A hall effect current sensor. It blew the wires right off.
ROV3.jpg

The ECO has a switch settable lead acid battery of 48, 60, and 72V. The lithium range is determined by switch settings and is fixed voltage charging. You can set it from panel voltage up to 90V in 0.1V incroments.

and this is the RENOGY Rover proving once again that RENOGY is crap. They put a 30A fuse in series with a 10A hall effect current sensor. It blew the wires right off.
View attachment 182492
What blew right off? I see electrolytic cap C15 is gone but the leads were cut. The leads inside of an aluminum electrolytic are not terminated that way.

Charge controller pull as much as then need from the panel. Output is controlled by the input.
Boost converter, like the one linked above, work the other way around. Output is the driver, so input is controlled by the output.

If you did get it to work, it would defeat the purpose of the MPPT

What about something like this to boost the PV voltage?
Why do you feel you need to boost the voltage? Boosting the voltage won't help your solar watts, in fact the conversion might actually be another layer of loss. If you double the voltage, the amps will be halved so multiplying volts x amps will be the same (less conversion loss).

What are you doing and what do you hope to accomplish?

Last edited:
Why do you feel you need to boost the voltage? Boosting the voltage won't help your solar watts, in fact the conversion might actually be another layer of loss. If you double the voltage, the amps will be halved so multiplying volts x amps will be the same (less conversion loss).

What are you doing and what do you hope to accomplish?
I have a 100W portable panel that it would be nice to use to charge a 24V battery. The panel Voc is 22.6V which isn't high enough to charge it. I was wondering if putting the boost on the PV output would give the MPPT enough voltage to work. Ya, I know it's not very efficient, just thinking out loud.

My assumption here (which may be faulty) is that the Victron MPPT is not a boost converter. That is, it will take a higher voltage and convert it to charge the 12, 24, 48V battery but it won't take a lower voltage and boost it to do so.

Last edited:
I was wondering if putting the boost on the PV output would give the MPPT enough voltage to work.
This is all new to me but i think your use case is what these are made for. Go for it and please post results.
I suspect it might be cheaper to buy a big cheap panel to harvest sun at the voltage your MPPT needs. Unless portability is an important aspect of your solar array.

I already have the Victron 100/20 MPPT, hate to buy another charge controller. What about something like this to boost the PV voltage?

I have a 100W portable panel that it would be nice to use to charge a 24V battery. The panel Voc is 22.6V which isn't high enough to charge it. I was wondering if putting the boost on the PV output would give the MPPT enough voltage to work. Ya, I know it's not very efficient, just thinking out loud.

That device expects a sufficient power supply to provide its maximum output, so the moment the panel can't supply the set voltage and current, it shuts down. There will also be no MPPT function whatsoever.

If you set it to a voltage and current that is < 50W, then it will work when the panel can meet those needs. It will never output more than 50W, and if the panel can't supply 50W, it shuts down.

For $10 more for the ECO-WORTHY, it makes a lot more sense to go with a MPPT charger designed to boost.

My assumption here (which may be faulty) is that the Victron MPPT is not a boost converter.

Correct. Almost none are. That's why I started this thread.

Victron MPPT require +5V (0A, Voc) above battery to START working. PV must remain +1V above battery voltage to continue operating.

I bought a Genasun to play with charging 48 volt LiFePO4 batteries using Peltier devices. When I was done with that project, I sent them an email asking what I could do to use it to charge from an unlimited current source, like a 24 volt alternator. They responded within days, I sent it back and the installed custom firmware (for a fee of course.)
But how’s that for unbelievable customer service?

Back