diy solar

diy solar

Purchase obviously scam Alliexpress batteries just to see what you would get

I did. After I came to my senses, I am still waiting for money back.

PayPal protection plus credit card protection etc.

I canceled shortly after I I ordered so nothing ever shipped.?

Aliexpress is a nightmare. Look at how many fraudulent listings are on there.

I did. After I came to my senses, I am still waiting for money back.

PayPal protection plus credit card protection etc.

I canceled shortly after I I ordered so nothing ever shipped.?

Aliexpress is a nightmare.
Agreed, I'm mostly joking, although morbidly curious. I purchesed 32 "200 ah" cells last year on alliexpress. They worked great, with one exception, they were 100 ah cells. It took about 3 months, and I had to video & graph the entire discharge, but I was able to get 1/2 my money back. They're still working great, and it ended up being only $1000 for 32 Green 100ah Sinopoly cells, but I would never want to go through that again.

Ya, I did that once. Ordered a hardware kit for a super nice looking green house for like $30. Waited and watched the tracking info. Finally a knock off pair of Ray Ban sunglasses showed up. When I asked for a refund the merchant offered a 50% discount and said I could keep the sunglasses. I think I still have them. LOL

I have a box full of SDS Plus and SDS Max bits from Ali that are laughably out of true. Ironically when you order SDS bit from ALI you have no idea what's going to show up.

Yes it has been done. Nothing to verify. Just anxiety and stress to prove nothing tangible.

If you want the enjoyment of a DIY battery build, get some good cells from a good seller. Move forward and upward.

I read this thread a couple weeks ago like maybe 20 mins after ordering and canceled my order like maybe 2 hours after.

?

Aliexpress apparently holds the money from the vendor until item is delivered? Anyway......

Yes it has been done. Nothing to verify. Just anxiety and stress to prove nothing tangible.

If you want the enjoyment of a DIY battery build, get some good cells from a good seller. Move forward and upward.

Agreed but how the F are people like me of reasonable technical, electrical and mechanical skill and always trying to save of buck..... supposed to purchase raw cells?

If you know, you know but is there like an Angie's List of solar geeks who can tell us where we can get decent cells from reputable sellers for a fair price?

Hell, that could turn into Will's most profitable affiliate link.

If your patient. I also monitor Craigslist. This past year, I found someone who bought a bunch of 280ah cells for a project and ended up not using them.

They were a little dirty, but after being cleaned up they work perfectly $1200 for 16.

Agreed but how the F are people like me of reasonable technical, electrical and mechanical skill and always trying to save of buck..... supposed to purchase raw cells?

If you know, you know but is there like an Angie's List of solar geeks who can tell us where we can get decent cells from reputable sellers for a fair price?

These guys have been mentioned and spoke highly of several times. I was very close to pulling the trigger on 32 cells with them and had several encouraging calls and emails with them but ended up with server rack batteries for a variety of other reasons not related in any way to them.

These guys have been mentioned and spoke highly of several times. I was very close to pulling the trigger on 32 cells with them and had several encouraging calls and emails with them but ended up with server rack batteries for a variety of other reasons not related in any way to them.

I don't know.

Maybe I'm an idiot. It doesn't seem to save much over just purchasing already done server rack batteries?

$170.00 for 280 A/H. $2880.00 for 16 cells. (is that shipping free?) 14336 WH 2 x $100.00 BMS and at least another $200.00 in racking and wire and breakers.

$3280.00 plus time. $3000.00 for two plug in server rack batteries and 10200 watt hours or get 3 and have 15300 WH @ $4584.

You save about $1200.00 DIY but then have to spend the time etc etc

Last edited:

What size of cells and "rating" are you looking to purchase? I'm about to pull the trigger on another 16 cell purchase but am still trying to decide on capacity. Also looking for current recommendations.

Last year (2022) I made two purchases from Alibaba (60 day delivery time by boat in both cases) based on recommendations from this forum.

One order of four 280Ah cells (brand new "grade b" Bulk, Voltage & IR Matched) from Amy Wan of Shenzhen Luyuan Technology Co., Ltd. for $111/cell plus $35/cell shipping ($584 USD total including shipping to Toronto Canada).

The other order was sixteen 100Ah cells (brand new "grade a") from Eric Wang of Shenzhen Hongxinda New Energy Co for $39/cell plus $21.56 shipping per cell ($969 total USD including shipping to Toronto Canada).

The 280Ah cells works out to 16 cents per watt hour not including shipping, and the 100Ah works out to 19 cents per watt hour.

I've been quite happy with both purchases so I'll likely buy from the same source again unless I hear updated recommendations and better price points. I'm not sure how the price of raw cells has changed in the past 8 months...

What size of cells and "rating" are you looking to purchase? I'm about to pull the trigger on another 16 cell purchase but am still trying to decide on capacity. Also looking for current recommendations.

Last year (2022) I made two purchases from Alibaba (60 day delivery time by boat in both cases) based on recommendations from this forum.

One order of four 280Ah cells (brand new "grade b" Bulk, Voltage & IR Matched) from Amy Wan of Shenzhen Luyuan Technology Co., Ltd. for $111/cell plus $35/cell shipping ($584 USD total including shipping to Toronto Canada).

The other order was sixteen 100Ah cells (brand new "grade a") from Eric Wang of Shenzhen Hongxinda New Energy Co for $39/cell plus $21.56 shipping per cell ($969 total USD including shipping to Toronto Canada).

The 280Ah cells works out to 16 cents per watt hour not including shipping, and the 100Ah works out to 19 cents per watt hour.

I've been quite happy with both purchases so I'll likely buy from the same source again unless I hear updated recommendations and better price points. I'm not sure how the price of raw cells has changed in the past 8 months...

This is good info.

I am only looking at the largest (280 AH) cells. Would like to get 16 or maybe 24 if the price is right. (24 volt system so need 3 banks of 8 3.2V cells).

Ok, so this math doesn't work at all. They are quoting $1600 shipping for 24 cells or $4384.00 total for cells and shipping.

You save about $1200.00 DIY but then have to spend the time etc etc
For me I had read one to many posts about all sorts of issues. Some were minor, some weren't. In the end decided I wanted batteries and not a new full time hobby that could randomly choose when it required my attention. (that's not meant to be an opening for someone to take a poke at me about how easy it is but someone will)

Plus you've got a warranty and someone you can actually call.

For me I had read one to many posts about all sorts of issues. Some were minor, some weren't. In the end decided I wanted batteries and not a new full time hobby that could randomly choose when it required my attention. (that's not meant to be an opening for someone to take a poke at me about how easy it is but someone will)

Plus you've got a warranty and someone you can actually call.

I'll actually crunch the numbers again later, but to me, at current prices and shipping rates on those websites where you actually get batteries and not a box full of broken coffee mugs, the diy is actually more expensive?

Ok, so this math doesn't work at all. They are quoting $1600 shipping for 24 cells or $4384.00 total for cells and shipping.

That was fast - you already got a quote from AliBabi in under 10 minutes?? Was it from Shenzhen Luyuan Technology Co?

They quoted you almost double the cost for shipping? (and $116 per 280Ah cell if my math is right?)

at current prices and shipping rates on those websites where you actually get batteries and not a box full of broken coffee mugs, the diy is actually more expensive?
Price is not the only consideration. Something that doesn't get discussed much on the forum is situations where there is limited or an unusual space that someone may wish to utilize but a standard rack or wall mount battery will not fit. I have a garage space with exactly that problem so DIY makes more sense. Also, having a warranty may be more trouble or inconvenience than its worth depending on the situation. Specifically, having to send it back for repair or replacement, could take a few weeks and that's after you've convinced them it is in fact a warranty issue.

Remember - Alibaba isn't like AliExpress... you work out a purchase order with a representative and there is quite often a bit of back-and-forth. For example, the site where I linked the 280Ah batteries specifically states:

2. About the freight: Please ignore the default shipping price on the website. We will calculate the specific shipping price based on different countries, different zip codes, different order weights, and different shipping ways.
3. About the ordering: (1) Please send us an inquiry through any product link in our store. (2) After we discuss and confirm all details (including product price, shipping price, total price), we will draft this order. (3) You could click on the order link we drafted and follow the system prompts to pay after verifying that all the information in the order is correct. (4)After we receive your payment, we will send you updates,such packages pictures and tracking information. You just need to wait for the arrival of the order.

Remember - Alibaba isn't like AliExpress... you work out a purchase order with a representative and there is quite often a bit of back-and-forth. For example, the site where I linked the 280Ah batteries specifically states:

2. About the freight: Please ignore the default shipping price on the website. We will calculate the specific shipping price based on different countries, different zip codes, different order weights, and different shipping ways.
3. About the ordering: (1) Please send us an inquiry through any product link in our store. (2) After we discuss and confirm all details (including product price, shipping price, total price), we will draft this order. (3) You could click on the order link we drafted and follow the system prompts to pay after verifying that all the information in the order is correct. (4)After we receive your payment, we will send you updates,such packages pictures and tracking information. You just need to wait for the arrival of the order.

Yeah see I read none of that.....

Will, I reckon at least a year ago, made it clear that cells represent only a tiny fraction of his affiliate link income. Almost everyone is buying pre-made batteries, mostly server rack units.

Buying raw cells to make your own battery had a brief rise in popularity but fell back as pre-made units arrived and provided more convenience and good value for money.

diy solar

diy solar
Back