diy solar

diy solar

Purchase obviously scam Alliexpress batteries just to see what you would get

18650 store has ganfeng 280AH for 115 ea with shipping to my place it comes out to 148 and some change they say their guaranteed to pull capacity

18650 store has ganfeng 280AH for 115 ea with shipping to my place it comes out to 148 and some change they say their guaranteed to pull capacity

Thanks. I don't know if I have adhd or what but the website layouts make it very hard to see what you're actually getting.

The info and product seems to change as you scroll down the page.

Ya, I did that once. Ordered a hardware kit for a super nice looking green house for like $30. Waited and watched the tracking info. Finally a knock off pair of Ray Ban sunglasses showed up. When I asked for a refund the merchant offered a 50% discount and said I could keep the sunglasses. I think I still have them. LOL
lol.... I ordered some bike parts from a website at an incredible deal. After a bit I knew it was a scam and disputed through Paypal. Soon after I got an email from the seller, asking why I did that and they provided a shipping labels and I dropped the claim. For several weeks, or months, I tracked the label, watched it go through customs, etc. Finally, I got my package. The cheapest ray-ban sunglasses ever! The website was now defunct and emails went unanswered. Fortunately, I was only out $40.

From Amy Wan:

16 280AH, to US(27023), freight: $322

Shipping by sea, to the door, DDP, about 60 days to arrive
So,the total price is:

Cell price +freight =

$147*16+$322=$2674

With new terminals

With 16pcs busbars +64pcs screws

With the test data of each cell from EVE

What do you guys think? Do I pay any Duty Tax or anything like that?

That looks like 13,440 wh. Add in 2 24V 120 AMP BMS at $100.00 each plus fuses or breakers, so lets budget another $150.00 for miscellneous.

That's $2674.00 + $350.00 Total= $3024.00 for 13440wh.

Two Signature Solar 24V w/shipping and tax are $3082.96 for 10240wh.

23 cents per wh DIY

30 cents per wh DIY

Or a 25% discount off set it and forget it.

Am I missing something? I foresee several hours of farting around and no form factor for easy placement and hauling of the cells. To me DIY doesn't make sense at this number????

Oops. Forgot the sig solar $50.00 discount for being an order virgin.

So that's 29.5 cents a kwh vs 23.5.

Or 21% discount.

I did this once... then found out they dont ship anything they send you a fake tracking number I was kinda my own fault because the pricing was completely unrealistic even for aliexpress pricing. I made an impulse buy and realized this afterwards.

I got my money back and then did my homework and ordered from a "top brand" seller with lots of good reviews... https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251...2uXdWOV&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US got 16 of these and though they took two months they came in fine and im waiting on the terminals for my diy battery build now.. got them charged up and balancing.. These are going into a budget golf cart project. btw the tracking number they provided didnt work in aliexpress so I got nervous but I googled it and found a couple sites that worked with the number... however they sent them it took forever! still for $623 shipped on sale it was a great deal for my use even if they end up not reaching full capacity for some reason. Now ive ordered from docan before and so far nothing about these cells jumps out as different. There is a very slight gap between my 2 end cells in my pack and the rest but im not sure if they bloated slightly after charging or its just the way those cells are wrapped and sitting.. its about a 1/16 of an inch at the top edge. They are under compression.

Last edited:
BTW you can typically tell when they are scam companies if you look at thier shop name and its called "shop" with a bunch of numbers following.. even more so when the other feedback is for cheap junk or obviously fake feedback.

I also almost got burned on ebay before by ghost account sellers who get customers login account info from recycled laptops and devices and figure out how to divert the funds elsewhere. So many people drop off or throw away their old phones and computers without wiping them first. I used to repair recyled tvs and computers and I remember getting a computer that was discarded by a home alarm company that had all the customers addresses and passwords for their home security systems and being like WTF! (Yes I promptly wiped it)

Last edited:
Well, refund landed back on CC today.

Nobody lost anything because Aliexpress never paid the seller.

Never attempting to buy anything off Ali again.?

You guys keep doing this I'll just dispute charge thing and you'll be put on a ban list that's shared among all credit card companies. My Ex Gf was addicted to cheap fake jewelry on ebay and would routinely do this claiming not real diamonds, or gold whatever, didn't matter it was a fake ass $5.00 topaz ring she still file dispute on paypal... Since it was my name on the credit cards I got put a black list for habitual dispute filers.

So yeah, you better stop playing around.

You guys keep doing this I'll just dispute charge thing and you'll be put on a ban list that's shared among all credit card companies. My Ex Gf was addicted to cheap fake jewelry on ebay and would routinely do this claiming not real diamonds, or gold whatever, didn't matter it was a fake ass $5.00 topaz ring she still file dispute on paypal... Since it was my name on the credit cards I got put a black list for habitual dispute filers.

So yeah, you better stop playing around.

It was a PayPal dispute.

Only had one dispute in 24 years of cc used and even on that one, cc comp lost nothing.

Also, don't share your financial stuff with female companions. If you live together, keep stuff in your name and treat her like any other tennant

Well, refund landed back on CC today.

Nobody lost anything because Aliexpress never paid the seller.

Never attempting to buy anything off Ali again.?
I will not say that it is not a bit of gamble to buy off Aliexpress. However there are many items I have bought from it and had no issues at all (other than some incredible slow shipping times). You do have to use some reasonable investigation before you order. Never ever buy from a listing that has Shop followed by a bunch of numbers. Read any posted reviews carefully. Understand that some people complain over stupid things and some positive reviews are fakes.

When the price is way out of line for an item compared to several other listings for the same item you are pushing your luck to order it. In the case of this Thread it completely slays me the rationale of knowingly ordering when you reasonably suspect the item being offered for sale. It is one thing to get caught because you went in blind it is another to get caught when you can see the trap.

I will not say that it is not a bit of gamble to buy off Aliexpress. However there are many items I have bought from it and had no issues at all (other than some incredible slow shipping times). You do have to use some reasonable investigation before you order. Never ever buy from a listing that has Shop followed by a bunch of numbers. Read any posted reviews carefully. Understand that some people complain over stupid things and some positive reviews are fakes.

When the price is way out of line for an item compared to several other listings for the same item you are pushing your luck to order it. In the case of this Thread it completely slays me the rationale of knowingly ordering when you reasonably suspect the item being offered for sale. It is one thing to get caught because you went in blind it is another to get caught when you can see the trap.
It does help smear the legitimacy of the decent sellers on ali though... and that certainly helps justify future or past decisions in ones mind to pay more and buy elsewhere regardless of needs or cost. Its the same type of oversimplification strategy I see being used more and more justifying against DIY by some..

I agree theres a lot of scammers and crappy cells on aliexpress and typically if you buy something that seems cheaper than the going rate from others on aliexpress your odds of satisfaction will not be good. but like any Ecommerce site there are good deals to be had too.

Last edited:

I think what got me is the price wasn't grossly cheaper. 280 AH cells for $130.00 each and me thinking this was Chinese ebay.

I figured it out in less than two hours.

I just don't have the patience to sort through the Aliexpress layout. It's terrible and I can't make heads or tails of what's on there. Ymmv.

I think what got me is the price wasn't grossly cheaper. 280 AH cells for $130.00 each and me thinking this was Chinese ebay.

I figured it out in less than two hours.

I just don't have the patience to sort through the Aliexpress layout. It's terrible and I can't make heads or tails of what's on there. Ymmv.
I agree that it takes patience to sort out. I have got really annoyed with it at times and resolved to never use it again. But it draws me back since there can be things I find there that are novel and interesting. I have learned to double check places like Amazon for the same product. My preference is if I can buy it for near the same price on Amazon versus Alie than Amazon is my first choice.

Ebay is a similar thing. Lots of outright scams and bad merchants. But I have found things I want through it not easily obtained elsewhere.

I agree that it takes patience to sort out. I have got really annoyed with it at times and resolved to never use it again. But it draws me back since there can be things I find there that are novel and interesting. I have learned to double check places like Amazon for the same product. My preference is if I can buy it for near the same price on Amazon versus Alie than Amazon is my first choice.

Ebay is a similar thing. Lots of outright scams and bad merchants. But I have found things I want through it not easily obtained elsewhere.
I have well over 3000 ebay transactions now and I have only been burned once. I have bought from dead beat scammer sellers a couple times now but ebay has always refunded me.
I dont know if you noticed but amazons sorting algorithm was designed to make it very difficult to sort products by price for the sellers (and amazons) behalf.
Places like aliexpress and ebay are now following suit. On amazon I often find the same sellers selling the same item in different categories for different prices.
I too like to check all 3 sites for certain products and I am surprised at time at which site has it for sometimes considerably less than others.

I dont know if you noticed but amazons sorting algorithm was designed to make it very difficult to sort products by price for the sellers (and amazons) behalf....
I normally use Google to search Amazon (Amazon product search here site:amazon.com). I started doing that after buying a peavy. On Google, the first result was the Amazon listing for the product I wanted. However, if I search for the product on Amazon, it won't even come up, even with the exact product and brand name, or variations of.

Stihl products on Amazon were not findable, at all, using their regular search, but that appears to have been remedied recently.

I've noticed that's a case with a lot of "real" brands, Amazon buried their results down the the search list, while promoting their cheap Chinese made counterparts on the first result page, even with an exact product keyword match.

Ebay is a similar thing. Lots of outright scams and bad

I have well over 3000 ebay transactions now and I have only been burned once. I have bought from dead beat scammer sellers a couple times now but ebay has always refunded me.
I dont know if you noticed but amazons sorting algorithm was designed to make it very difficult to sort products by price for the sellers (and amazons) behalf.
Places like aliexpress and ebay are now following suit. On amazon I often find the same sellers selling the same item in different categories for different prices.
I too like to check all 3 sites for certain products and I am surprised at time at which site has it for sometimes considerably less than others.

Agree on Amazon. "Buy it again" nets you a knockoff item the second time and I now see knockoff items replacing legit items and pushing the legit stuff waaaayyyy down the page as well as listings that have replaced others for unrelated products to take advantage of the positive ratings the other product received

And of course the obvious fake reviews. The sellers use fake accounts to buy stuff and ship it to themselves and make reviews.

Never had an issue with Ebay. 600 plus transactions and never an issue.

I normally use Google to search Amazon (Amazon product search here site:amazon.com). I started doing that after buying a peavy. On Google, the first result was the Amazon listing for the product I wanted. However, if I search for the product on Amazon, it won't even come up, even with the exact product and brand name, or variations of.

Stihl products on Amazon were not findable, at all, using their regular search, but that appears to have been remedied recently.

I've noticed that's a case with a lot of "real" brands, Amazon buried their results down the the search list, while promoting their cheap Chinese made counterparts on the first result page, even with an exact product keyword match.

Genuine stihl cannot be sold on eBay or Amazon.

There are of course second hand liquidators selling genuine stihl parts on eBay but dealers are not allowed to sell parts online.

Genuine stihl cannot be sold on eBay or Amazon.

There are of course second hand liquidators selling genuine stihl parts on eBay but dealers are not allowed to sell parts online.
That's irritating. I understand why they do it, but I'm not a big fan of that practice.

I work on pools for a living, and one of the major companies recently started a "pro series" that can only be purchased and installed by "certified" professionals. Even replacement parts can only be purchased by a dealer. I was a big fan of that company before, and would always recommend their products. Now, I refuse to put them in because customers can't buy replacement parts on their own, or even touch the pump without voiding the warranty.

That's irritating. I understand why they do it, but I'm not a big fan of that practice.

I work on pools for a living, and one of the major companies recently started a "pro series" that can only be purchased and installed by "certified" professionals. Even replacement parts can only be purchased by a dealer. I was a big fan of that company before, and would always recommend their products. Now, I refuse to put them in because customers can't buy replacement parts on their own, or even touch the pump without voiding the warranty.

Seeing

Last edited:
Ebay's a great place for buyers, but can be terrible for sellers. I've been a buyer on eBay for many years, but recently became unemployed so I decided to sell off a lot of unneeded items. I'm just 2 months in and have been burned by 3 buyers. Now I'm scared every time someone buys something from me.
Ebay forces sellers to give a 30 day warranty and a buyer can change their mind and claim the item doesn't work or even damage what they bought from you and lie to eBay about it and you have to take it back, plus you have to pay for the shipping there and back. There's absolutely no fairness for the seller on eBay.
In the case of damage you can show eBay before and after pictures and they could care less because the customers always right even when they're obviously stealing from you.

Ebay's a great place for buyers, but can be terrible for sellers. I've been a buyer on eBay for many years, but recently became unemployed so I decided to sell off a lot of unneeded items. I'm just 2 months in and have been burned by 3 buyers. Now I'm scared every time someone buys something from me.
Ebay forces sellers to give a 30 day warranty and a buyer can change their mind and claim the item doesn't work or even damage what they bought from you and lie to eBay about it and you have to take it back, plus you have to pay for the shipping there and back. There's absolutely no fairness for the seller on eBay.
In the case of damage you can show eBay before and after pictures and they could care less because the customers always right even when they're obviously stealing from you.

Yeah, it's really more for dealers than the small guy now.

Remember when it was about auctions?

diy solar

diy solar
Back