diy solar

diy solar

PWM in parallel with MPPT

RoadTurtle

Solar Enthusiast
Going to add 2 left over panels as ground deployed, planning to use the Zamp PWM that I took out of the system. If I like it and works, I'll eventually upgrade to VE MPPT. I'm expecting to need aircon for a 5 day off grid, and the extra solar will be nice to have.
Any concerns with just wiring this to the buss bar?

Going to add 2 left over panels as ground deployed, planning to use the Zamp PWM that I took out of the system. If I like it and works, I'll eventually upgrade to VE MPPT. I'm expecting to need aircon for a 5 day off grid, and the extra solar will be nice to have.
Any concerns with just wiring this to the buss bar?

Both MPPT and PWM SCC will be limited by their attached battery voltage level for absorb and float voltage set on SCC's..

Bulk charge current will be sum of output from both controllers.

There are many variants on how a SCC exits absorb level charging mode. One may exit absorb voltage before the other. Most common method for SCC controllers to exit absorb mode is an absorb timer setting duration.

Thanks for the input. Got the system wired and it works. I think I'm going to set it up after this trip with victron SCC and integrate it in.

One interesting thing came out of this, I was getting just under 200w off of 400w of panels. Not too terrible considering I didn't really aim the panels, or worry too much about the efficiencies of PWM. But what really got my attention, 1200w on the roof putting out a whopping 500w. LOT of dust and pollen on the panels. Cleaned them with a swifter, which worked pretty good. One panel had significant shadow, and a thin cirrus layer, got to 900w.

Ditto here it works fine I just prefer mppt and phased out the pwm ones.

I have the old pwm ones charging cars now :)

Back