diy solar

diy solar

Pytes battery wiring in pairs to buss or each battery.

Jwood

I'm installing a bank of 12 Pytes batteries to a single Solark 15k with 11Kw solar and grid tie in Mexico. I've been getting conflicting information from different sources about Pytes battery wiring. One tech I talked to said best that they are paralleled together in pairs of two to the buss bar, and another said it's much better to run each battery individually to the buss bar. The battery install manual states that the maximum in parallel is two, but makes no suggestions if pairs or individual batteries to the buss is preferred. I'm leaning to the conservative side and wiring each battery to the Midnight Solar MNLBC Lithium Battery Combiner.

I'm looking for opinions about if wiring every battery to the buss is overkill, and what buss bar/combiner (midnight solar, Victron, or other) you prefer. Thanks!

I prefer to wire each battery to the bus bar with equal length cables for all batteries. But I wouldn't have a problem with paralleling two batteries together.

I use the Blue Sea Systems PowerBar 1000 for my common bus bar connections. But you might want to create a separate bus bar just for the batteries. Victron makes a nice, hefty bus bar that would work for that.

I prefer to wire each battery to the bus bar with equal length cables for all batteries. But I wouldn't have a problem with paralleling two batteries together.

I use the Blue Sea Systems PowerBar 1000 for my common bus bar connections. But you might want to create a separate bus bar just for the batteries. Victron makes a nice, hefty bus bar that would work for that.
Thank you, I looked at the Victron Buss bar and felt it was a little nicer and beefier than the midnight solar box. I think I may go that way. That brings up another question. For the Sol Ark 15k, doing the math running two 2/0 wires to each of the positive and negative connections seems to have less resistance than using the U-shaped buss bar on the SolArk and one 4/0 cable. If I did the math correctly it looks like you could exceed the capacity of the 4/0 cable. The Victron and the Midnight solar Buss/combiners only have one main output lug to connect the cable between the buss and the SolArk. If I use two 2/0 cables, is there an issue installing both cables on the single output lug of the buss?

Thank you, I looked at the Victron Buss bar and felt it was a little nicer and beefier than the midnight solar box. I think I may go that way. That brings up another question. For the Sol Ark 15k, doing the math running two 2/0 wires to each of the positive and negative connections seems to have less resistance than using the U-shaped buss bar on the SolArk and one 4/0 cable. If I did the math correctly it looks like you could exceed the capacity of the 4/0 cable. The Victron and the Midnight solar Buss/combiners only have one main output lug to connect the cable between the buss and the SolArk. If I use two 2/0 cables, is there an issue installing both cables on the single output lug of the buss?

The Combined Wire Gauge Calculators that I use don't calculate for the size you're looking at. Dual 2/0 is probably bigger than 4/0, but I can't confirm that on the calculators. I did dual 2/0 to my Victron Multiplus.

You can stack cable lugs on a single stud. There are diminishing returns for the number of lugs you can stack. But two should be OK.

The Combined Wire Gauge Calculators that I use don't calculate for the size you're looking at. Dual 2/0 is probably bigger than 4/0, but I can't confirm that on the calculators. I did dual 2/0 to my Victron Multiplus.

You can stack cable lugs on a single stud. There are diminishing returns for the number of lugs you can stack. But two should be OK.
Ampacity charts should show what amperage a conductor is rated at, paralleling them should double the ampacity for the rated temp.

Ampacity charts should show what amperage a conductor is rated at, paralleling them should double the ampacity for the rated temp.
At 60C, 2/0 is rated for 115A, so paralleled it should have a rating of 230, or roughly the same as 400kcm

Back