diy solar

diy solar

Quantity of batteries vs quantity of panels.

JeremyG

I have 5 active panels, 230watts each.
(3 panels in storage, because I didn't get them up before the snow came).

I have 5 new deep cycle batteries
Can I keep these 8 panels active and keep adding to the battery bank?
Say I get 5 more his year, can I keep adding more and more batteries?
Or, do I need more panels?

(I assumed I could get as many batteries as I wanted...but they may charge slower).

Thank you for your time and patience with a guy just starting to learn about solar stuff.

I have 5 active panels, 230watts each.
(3 panels in storage, because I didn't get them up before the snow came).

I have 5 new deep cycle batteries
Can I keep these 8 panels active and keep adding to the battery bank?
Or, do I need more panels?

(I assumed I could get as many batteries as I wanted...but they may charge slower).

Thank you for your time and patience with a guy just starting to learn about solar stuff.

"deep cycle batteries" generally refer to lead acid.

Lead acid require charging within a range, so your PV must be able to charge them in that range.

Depends on how long you want to take to recharge the battery with solar. You could want enough battery to last for 3 days with no grid and sun. It could take a week to recharge. That's OK.

If you need to recharge every day, then you need more panels.

IMO With lead acid batteries you want be able to charge them fully from 50% capacity just about every day. Keeping within their rated max charge amperage. I will use the example of a 12vDC-100ah. 50% capacity after carrying loads through the night means you used 600wh. To recharge this amount without any other loading during an average production day would have you needing about ~ 200w panel (max day production 800-1000wh). 200w/12vDC=16.67a peak, more likely less, which places in you a safe charge zone. So if you have 5 of those batteries that would mean you would want around 4-5 200w panels.

If you add loads to the day besides charging the battery your PV must grow to cover it.

Something about lead acid batteries is that as they age they charge/discharge differently. Adding more lead-acid batteries to an existing system introduces problems. They don't play well together. They won't charge well together and if lead acid batteries aren't fully charged, over time they begin to sulfate and never recover. LiFePO4 is a much more forgiving chemistry.

Depends on how long you want to take to recharge the battery with solar. You could want enough battery to last for 3 days with no grid and sun. It could take a week to recharge. That's OK.

If you need to recharge every day, then you need more panels.
Correct. This is what they call "autonomy". Three days is a good average to aim for.
The panels charging rate will depend on your location relative to the equator and local overcast weather.
As a minimum you need to replace the power you consume every day. Replacing the autonomy deficit will be over and above this.

Back