diy solar

diy solar

Question about a discharged LFP battery.

These are still LFP cells. When LFP first came out, they operated from 2.0 to 4.2V. They found this was quite detrimental to the cells, and cycle life was dramatically reduced, so the range was limited to 2.5-3.65 sacrificing about 15% capacity for dramatically improved cycle life.

No matter what the datasheet says, don't run them to 2.0. It doesn't make receiving cells at 2.3 or 3.0V okay.

I literally just made a purchase from BH, so I'm not down on them, but that doesn't mean I think the cells are trustworthy. Nor do I think BH does thorough testing. They sample test them and ship them out. I don't think they would knowing send cells out at 2.3V, so I bet they didn't even check the voltage.

EVERYTHING from BH should be tested for capacity, internal resistance and self-discharge.

This is completely valid, and only time will tell. These are allegedly new and unused. In my experience with thousands of batteries/cells, outliers are ALWAYS the problems. Out of 24 cells, you received a notable outlier. I would personally insist on a replacement.
Thank you. That's good to understand and it explains why I've seen different listed values for the same LFP battery chemistry, which never quite made sense as the chemistry ought to be what dictates min/max charge levels, not the container it's put in or how big or small it is.

I'll build a capacity tester and request a replacement for this cell. There were actually two other cells that were a bit low (comparatively), 2.7 and 2.8V respectively, but at the time I didn't think that was an issue because it was more than 2.5V. I'll test them too and replace them if they don't test okay. That said, I will ask for the 2.3V cell to be replaced.

Thank you. That's good to understand and it explains why I've seen different listed values for the same LFP battery chemistry, which never quite made sense as the chemistry ought to be what dictates min/max charge levels, not the container it's put in or how big or small it is.

I'll build a capacity tester and request a replacement for this cell. There were actually two other cells that were a bit low (comparatively), 2.7 and 2.8V respectively, but at the time I didn't think that was an issue because it was more than 2.5V. I'll test them too and replace them if they don't test okay. That said, I will ask for the 2.3V cell to be replaced.

Returns

We offer a 60-day warranty on most of our products. If you are not satisfied or are having issues with your product during the 60-day period, you may return the product for a full refund, and we will pay for the return shipping.

Products that are
sold AS IS or FOR SALVAGE are not eligible for return or a 60-day warranty. All auctions are considered AS-IS.

Got in touch with Battery Hookup and they're honoring the return policy. Very nice about it actually. They're shipping a replacement out shortly. Thanks again for the information and help.

Back