diy solar

diy solar

Question on hooking up multiple LFP batteries

Glots222

Presently have six Chin’s 12v 100ah. Was planning on ten to twelve batteries for whole system. (Will be 24v)
Noticed in battery manual it says not to use more than eight in a system. 800ah.
I can take this two ways.
Does it mean no more than eight “chins” but a few more of another brand could be used and can be added to the system, (I’m aware types shouldn’t be mixed. LFP, AGM, etc.) or does it mean if I use eight “Chin’s” that’s all that can be in the system total.
I contacted them and all they said was they don’t recommend mixing brands.
Any suggestions on how to hook up more?

Presently have six Chin’s 12v 100ah. Was planning on ten to twelve batteries for whole system. (Will be 24v)
Noticed in battery manual it says not to use more than eight in a system. 800ah.
I can take this two ways.
Does it mean no more than eight “chins” but a few more of another brand could be used and can be added to the system, (I’m aware types shouldn’t be mixed. LFP, AGM, etc.) or does it mean if I use eight “Chin’s” that’s all that can be in the system total.
I contacted them and all they said was they don’t recommend mixing brands.
Any suggestions on how to hook up more?
It means they don't want you sticking 8 of them all hooked up directly to each other using cables from one to the next.

Use bus bars and some DC breakers between groups of batteries to keep the potential failure / surge currents under control.

You could theoretically have hundreds of Chin batteries hooked up in your system and be relatively safe** if you put quick acting, high AIC 100-200amp breakers on each battery (set of series batteries) before it connects to the bus bar.

**Not considering fire / venting hazards and other such tom foolery.

It means they don't want you sticking 8 of them all hooked up directly to each other using cables from one to the next.

Use bus bars and some DC breakers between groups of batteries to keep the potential failure / surge currents under control.

You could theoretically have hundreds of Chin batteries hooked up in your system and be relatively safe** if you put quick acting, high AIC 100-200amp breakers on each battery (set of series batteries) before it connects to the bus bar.

**Not considering fire / venting hazards and other such tom foolery.
I am using bus bars. Each pair is fused.

I am using bus bars. Each pair is fused.
Sounds like you are good to go. Don't worry about mixing brands, and don't worry about number of battery limits.

Some people don't like running 12v batteries in series to get 24v or 48v.. but other than that, you are doing good.

Make sure you are using good breakers/fuses though, with high AIC (10,000+). I like the midnite solar breakers myself.

Check to see if that is 8 in parallel or series?

Parallel usually allows more batts but no more than 4 in series is the usual company recommendation.

No I would not mix battery brands and be aware that balancing can be an issue with multiple LFP.

Check to see if that is 8 in parallel or series?

Parallel usually allows more batts but no more than 4 in series is the usual company recommendation.

No I would not mix battery brands and be aware that balancing can be an issue with multiple LFP.
They show several configurations to hook up but say not to use more than eight.

Back