diy solar

diy solar

Question about AC load splitting in an RV installation

No problem, as long as it is momentary.
You could also implement a relay as above, if you needed to run without shore power or generator.

Edit: that's assuming that you have an inverter.
yes with inverter, pretty much same setup as OP
- the generator always provides a ground neutral bond - even when not running. Adding a relay would add another ground neutral bond in the system?

When the inverter is in battery mode, it isn't getting the n/g bond from the generator. Unless you have the neutral input and output connected together.

I added a relay to only connect L1 loads if L2 is energized from poco. I believe this resolves the rare (but possible) situation where L1 is energized but L2 is not (bad poco/pedestal wiring or connection issue in cabling going into shore power connection). Of course if G in that path is open from poco, and L1 is energized, there's no fault path to ground. I can of course check the poco connection before hooking up and just avoid plugging into faulty sources.

UPDATE: changed 2x SPDT relays to 1x DPDT relay.

1646493794946.png

Attachments

• 1646488717201.png
    1646488717201.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I added a relay to only connect L1 loads if L2 is energized from poco. I believe this resolves the rare (but possible) situation where L1 is energized but L2 is not (bad poco/pedestal wiring or connection issue in cabling going into shore power connection). Of course if G in that path is open from poco, and L1 is energized, there's no fault path to ground. I can of course check the poco connection before hooking up and just avoid plugging into faulty sources.
View attachment 86158
Excellent

Everything is installed, wired and hooked up except the relay (still waiting for Amazon delivery today). I did a quick test using another SPDT relay I had for the G-N bond which works perfectly. Unfortunately most of the AC outlets in the trailer appear to be on the refrigerator breaker (which is on L1 in my diagram). After looking at the circuit I decided to make a slight modification to power L1 and L2 when running off shore power. I'll need to manage the loads to avoid overloading the inverter but that should be fairly simple.

Here's the latest (final?) layout:

1646661497408.png

Back