diy solar

diy solar

Question about Orion-Tr12/12-30(360W) for sensitive electronics

Uoavitar

Boondocker
In my 5th wheel I have a lot of electronic equipment like Tivo systems and some networking gear that used to work with 110v to 12v adapters for the home. When I put the systems in my RV I wired them directly into the 12v system. I have found that the Tivo units are sensitive to voltage fluctuations. They freeze up if it dips just below 12v but seems ok at 13v. My question is for someone that uses the Orion voltage converter (not charger). Will it output the specified adjustable voltage regardless of the input voltage? if the voltage goes to say 11v on the battery will it still output 12.6v? If the voltage runs high while charging to 14.4 will it still only output the set 12.6v? I think this can solve my issues with the hardwired 12v electronics by running the factory trailer wiring through a Orion-Tr12/12-30(360W) while leaving the inverters directly connected. your thoughts or experiences?

12-12-30-tr-front.png

Based on the Victron Connect app:

1617924480956.png

"output voltage is kept constant"

There are many inexpensive wide input range 8-40VDC to 12V converters that essentially have constant voltage output. I would expect the Orion to perform at least as well as those with its 8-17VDC input range.

RAPID changes in input voltage will cause fluctuations in output that will resolve fairly quickly. Reasonably slow changes one would expect in the intended application should not produce significant changes in output.

Of course, if you pull the maximum power from it, you may experience a voltage drop.

Back