diy solar

diy solar

Question of voltage of Westinghouse DC rated dinrail breakers.

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
The voltage rating of 125vDC for these little breakers is a bit low for a couple of my PV arrays. Looking around at a few different options I notice that some DC breakers use a serial connection method for a claimed higher DC voltage. They do this by turning a 2 pole breaker into a 1 pass with a jumper from terminal 1 to terminal 3. The input for the positive DC than is in from terminal 2 and out to terminal 4. So the question is would running the Westinghouse in this way double the DC voltage capability to 250vDC?

An example of Midnites solar 300vDC pictured below:

1719755056698.png

With handles ganged so both poles trip together, two in series should handle double voltage, 250V.

If polarized, current needs to flow in proper direction in each.
The midnight one has one pole designed for opposite direction.
Your Westinghouse, if polarized, both same direction so wire diagonally.

With handles ganged so both poles trip together, two in series should handle double voltage, 250V.

If polarized, current needs to flow in proper direction in each.
The midnight one has one pole designed for opposite direction.
Your Westinghouse, if polarized, both same direction so wire diagonally.
The Westinghouse is non polarized.

OK, just need to gang the handles.

Probably not a "listed" use of it, but if they did that and put it through testing then it would be listed.

OK, just need to gang the handles.

Probably not a "listed" use of it, but if they did that and put it through testing then it would be listed.
:) Perhaps not but with the UL stamp on the side of the breaker I doubt that many would question it. Thanks for your response.

ETA: One thing that I do wonder though is the 1000vDC ratings of the inexpensive Chinese sourced dinrail breakers I had been previously using. Seems to be a stretch to list that high.

Well I got in both the Westinghouse and a Midnite Solar 2 pole 30a DC rated breaker for comparison. The Westinghouse looks better to me with serrated jaws on the wiring terminals versus the smooth ones on the Midnite. The Midnite has ETL listing versus the UL listing on the Westinghouse. Midnite shows Lesotho as Country of manufacture whereas the Westinghouse has none showing. The Westinghouse is Curve C and the Midnite is Curve M and comes with the little copper jumper plate. Other differences is Midnite has metal tabs locking the dinrail whereas the Westinghouse has plastic tabs.

I imagine if you use either one it will be OK for a PV disconnect circuit breaker. For my 3rd PV Array though I am going with another Westinghouse for 2 reasons . It's available and price. It cost $33 and the Midnite cost me $55.

diy solar

diy solar
Back