diy solar

diy solar

Questions about DIY Solar Station Build - Fuses and Inverters

Solar User

Hello everyone. I am planning the build of my first power station although I already have a bit of experience with manufactured ones (mainly Jackery and Bluetti) and I have some questions (and will probably have more as I go along).

First, on the question of inverters, I am considering getting a 24V inverter as opposed to the 12V inverters I have had in the past (I have four 12.8V batteries and can connect two of them in series if going with 24V). I am only considering a 1500 watt or 2000 watt inverter. I have always heard that 24V inverters are more efficient than 12V inverters but how much more efficient are they? I understand that the wiring used can be smaller due to less current but is the energy conversion more efficient enough to make a difference? I already have a small Samlex 12V inverter and really like it but I was looking at the Samlex 24V inverters and noticed that the current draw with no load seems to be higher for the 24V inverters. As an example, a 12V inverter lists a no load current draw of less than 0.5 Amps and the 24V inverter of the same size lists a no load current draw of less than 0.4 Amps. If I understand correctly, wouldn't that mean that for an hour of sitting idle, the 12V inverter would draw 12.8V X 0.5A = 6.4 Watts but the 24V inverter would draw 25.6V X 0.4A = 10.2 Watts (which is more)? Just wondering about these questions.

On the topic of fuses, if I go with appropriate gauge cable from the batteries to the inverter (ex. 2AWG for 1500 watt 24V inverter), I know that I need a fuse pretty close to the batteries. I have used the T Tocas switchable circuit breakers in the past but I read somewhere that these are not good to use in higher power situations and that a T Class fuse is needed. I am not familiar with those fuses - Are those what I should use in the situation of a 1500 or 2000 Watt 24V inverter? Any advice here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for reading and any feedback that is offered.

If I understand correctly, wouldn't that mean that for an hour of sitting idle, the 12V inverter would draw 12.8V X 0.5A = 6.4 Watts but the 24V inverter would draw 25.6V X 0.4A = 10.2 Watts (which is more)? Just wondering about these questions.
You are correct
am only considering a 1500 watt or 2000 watt inverter
Do you ever plan to need more watts of output? If not, and your needs are covered by a 2000W inverter, there is no realistic purpose in going 24V or 48V in any practical terms that I can think of.

Other than an 800W coffeemaker and occasionally my power mitre saw, the portable tablesaw, and the two smallest compressors or a sander; I live fine on an inexpensive QZRELB 2000W pure sine inverter, on 12V. Including my 120VAC fridge.
The convenience of 12V battery availability and the plethora of nice 12VDC RV lighting out there make it hard to back away from 12V when all you need is 15A@120VAC

Back