diy solar

diy solar

questions about load testing...

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
So I have 4x Duracell GC2 FLA 6volt batteries... I was thinking that since they have some age it might be a good idea to test their capacity...

I was thinking that a simple way to do this would be to split the batteries in to a pair of 2s, rather than testing them 2s2p...

My thought there is that if there is one bad cell the capacity difference and HOW the 2s string behaves should be pretty clear.... in addition if I did test at 2s2p, and I did suspect a bad cell, I might have to break it down for further testing any ways...

So basically I am thinking test 1 would be the right side 2s

test 2 would be left side 2s

I figured I would charge up the individual 2s strings, attach a 100 shunt and meter... then i could monitor the load, maybe dial it in for 50ish amps and look at where the resting voltage it after 30 mins... I figure that would give me a good idea of how much was used, vs how much was left in reverse(looking at resting voltage)

this should allow me to have a good idea of how degraded the batteries have become

Finally IF one of the 2 strings is significantly lower than the other, then I would pull that string apart and test the resting voltages... the lower resting voltage should be a bad cell?

I COULD also try mixing the batteries from the lower testing string with the higher testing string and see which battery tests lower at that point.

Anything I am missing? am I going about this the wrong way?

You're missing the most critical info...

These are FLA batteries, so you should be checking all 12 cells with a hydrometer and measuring their specific gravity.

Specific gravity is the most reliable way to measure SoC, and it's a strong indicator of cell health.

Fully charge the batteries and float for 2 hours. Remove charge.

Check SG as follows:

Fill tester, expel, fill tester, expel, fill tester, take/record reading, expel.
Repeat for all cells.

If any cell is < 1.255, it's not fully charged. If any cell is below 1.255, and/or the deviations within a single battery are > 0.03, it's likely the battery needs to be equalized.

Without breaking battery bank down, discharge 100Ah.

Allow to reset for two hours.

Record individual 6V voltages and repeat the 12 SG readings.

Done.

From that you should be able to estimate health and identify any bad cells.

You're missing the most critical info...

These are FLA batteries, so you should be checking all 12 cells with a hydrometer and measuring their specific gravity.

Specific gravity is the most reliable way to measure SoC, and it's a strong indicator of cell health.

Fully charge the batteries and float for 2 hours. Remove charge.

Check SG as follows:

Fill tester, expel, fill tester, expel, fill tester, take/record reading, expel.
Repeat for all cells.

If any cell is < 1.255, it's not fully charged. If any cell is below 1.255, and/or the deviations within a single battery are > 0.03, it's likely the battery needs to be equalized.

Without breaking battery bank down, discharge 100Ah.

Allow to reset for two hours.

Record individual 6V voltages and repeat the 12 SG readings.

Done.

From that you should be able to estimate health and identify any bad cells.
awesome... very useful and honestly more simple... I have everythign I need... I think. THANK YOU SO MUCH

16.2v... I'm not sure on the duration but it is adjustable.. it is a victron 100-50

Okay. Glad you've got good hardware. I ask because there are better ways to conduct equalization then an arbitrary method. Equalization is both good and bad. Good in that they reverse light sulfation, but bad in that they are stressful to the battery and can reduce their life.

It's basically a balancing act.

MOST battery manufacturers recommend some kind of SG monitoring and then equalize on some SG criteria, i.e., SG < 1.255 or SG within a battery varies by more than .03 (yeah, I got those from some other manufacturer). Unfortunately, unless you're buying higher grade stuff like Trojan, Crown or Rolls (and others), they may leave it to the user and publish nothing.

I'm very curious to see your fully charged SG numbers.

Specific gravity tells you the state of charge but tells you NOTHING about capacity. You need to do a capacity test with a know current draw.

Back