diy solar

diy solar

Questions about parts i should be using

pnnf

Hello everyone,

I live in my 39' fifth wheel and am wanting to get away from the power company. I do not have a lot of money so I sure the transition will take some time but if I dont start Ill never achieve it. I do have a few questions if youre able to help Id greatly appreciate it.

I have done a lot of reading and watching youtube videos and that has lead to more questions...smh. I have not yet done the math for my power needs and will do that as soon as I research it more. What Im wanting to do right now if figure out a parts list and then how many of each part once the math is done. Ive been watching Will Prowse's videos and they are supper informative. After watching his videos I would like to do a 24v system in my rig. My first question would be about the Victron MultiPlus inverter...... do I need it??? My Landmark has a Progressive Dynamics ac/dc inverter onboard already so do I need another one? Im sure the Victron is WAY better than my Progressive but can i get by with my onboard unit for now?

I would love Lithium but there is no way i can afford 1000.00 batteries. Im looking at the Renogy 12v 100ah or 200ah hybrid gels and 400 watt Trina panels with a EPever 40a MPPT Solar charge controller 12v/24v and i know Ill also need a 24 to 12 converter. shunt , breakers and of course wires. Is there anything im missing? I know im going to need allot of power with residential fridge,washer dryer,2 ac units ,tv ,computer etc etc. so im thinking this way to start:

5 Trina 400 watt solar panels
5 Renogy 100ah 12v batteries
1 EPever 40 amp charge controller
1 24v to 12v converter
breakers , switches , connectors , wire

Again, everything is subject to change. Just trying to get a feel for the parts ill need. I want no problem collecting sun and ill probably add more batteries (maybe 10 when done). Is the EPever good or should i stay with Renogy? Maybe Im jumping the gun and should be reading more but I felt like this was a good way to get more information for my needs than in general.

thank you all for the help in this journey~

I would love Lithium but there is no way i can afford 1000.00 batteries. Im looking at the Renogy 12v 100ah

At $240/Renogy battery, five cost $1200. You could get a great lithium battery for $1200.

Since you want to avoid hookups, no need to upgrade the PD converter.

You'll need an even number of batteries to get to 24v.
Thank you Ill keep that in mind. Id like to start with 500ah so 6 100ah or 4 200ah. Will the amp hours be added ... lets say i have 6 100ah batteries , will it be 600ah or is it cut some how because of wiring? I saw a video where a guy had 12 duracell 6v 215ah batters. 3 sets of 4 batteries and each set was only 215ah even though there were 4 215ah batteries connected. thats where I get confused. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Thank you Ill keep that in mind. Id like to start with 500ah so 6 100ah or 4 200ah. Will the amp hours be added ...
At this point you really need to get an idea of how much power you need. If you can estimate your usage from monthly bill, any meter readings or adding up you appliances you will be FAR more likely to get a setup that works for you, the first time (which is always a lot cheaper).

Based on you total energy needs, you should use your anticipated loads to determine whether you are fine at 12v or whether you should go to 24v.

Here is a very good guide for performing an energy audit:

At $240/Renogy battery, five cost $1200. You could get a great lithium battery for $1200.

Since you want to avoid hookups, no need to upgrade the PD converter.
Id like to start with 500ah and though id love to have Lithium ,6000.00 in batteries will have me in the dog house for the foreseeable future :) . if I can do it cheaper to start i can save for the lithium as i go. So the multiplus is only needed if you are going to stay connected to shore power, good to know. Thank you very much!
At this point you really need to get an idea of how much power you need. If you can estimate your usage from monthly bill, any meter readings or adding up you appliances you will be FAR more likely to get a setup that works for you, the first time (which is always a lot cheaper).

Based on you total energy needs, you should use your anticipated loads to determine whether you are fine at 12v or whether you should go to 24v.

yeah, i definitely need to do the audit. thanks for the link. After watching will's videos it sure sounds like 24v would be the way to go. Smaller wire and I think iI remember something about doubling wattage. I will take your advice and get the audit done thank you very much!

Build batteries when you are ready. I have 16kW worth coming for $1600. Add 2 BMS at 100 ea and you are good.

That is 16 280aH cells going to be wired for 24V.

This group will help. If I can do it so can you

This.

Since $ is an issue, the last thing you want to do is to try and piecemeal it in a way that causes you to replace things in the future. Design the system that meets your long term needs and then figure out how to break it up into bites.

Link #5 in my sig also helps you estimate solar availability for your area. If you're roof mounting panels, shading can be a serious concern.

Build batteries when you are ready. I have 16kW worth coming for $1600. Add 2 BMS at 100 ea and you are good.

That is 16 280aH cells going to be wired for 24V.

This group will help. If I can do it so can you
Now that sounds like something id be interested in. Can you tell me more about them?

Id like to start with 500ah and though id love to have Lithium ,6000.00 in batteries will have me in the dog house for the foreseeable future :) . if I can do it cheaper to start i can save for the lithium as i go.

It will cost that much only if you buy complete batteries off-the-shelf. I will (if FedEx ever delivers) have 560 Ah of LiFePO4 batteries for less than $1,000. The equivalent Ah in Battle Born batteries would indeed cost around $5,000.

This.

Since $ is an issue, the last thing you want to do is to try and piecemeal it in a way that causes you to replace things in the future. Design the system that meets your long term needs and then figure out how to break it up into bites.

Link #5 in my sig also helps you estimate solar availability for your area. If you're roof mounting panels, shading can be a serious concern.
i agree and Im trying to not buy the wrong items to only re purchase them later. im going to get my calculations down as close as i can get them and with your link I think ill be real close to getting this puzzle together. Thank you very much for the help

It will cost that much only if you buy complete batteries off-the-shelf. I will (if FedEx ever delivers) have 560 Ah of LiFePO4 batteries for less than $1,000. The equivalent Ah in Battle Born batteries would indeed cost around $5,000.
are you talking about building your own just like Prefersdirt mentioned? If not, may I ask how you are doing this? It seems as though i may be able to go the build your own route to get lithium.

I just want to take a minute to thank all of you for the help and guidance. Im so glad I joined. Ive been on many forums and never received this much help. Thank you all very much!

are you talking about building your own just like Prefersdirt mentioned? If not, may I ask how you are doing this? It seems as though i may be able to go the build your own route to get lithium.

Yep. DIY LiFePO4. Watch the Will Prowse videos on YouTube. That's where I learned the basics. Then I came here to get schooled the rest of the way.

I'm about two months ahead of you. I have everything I need to do my install except the batteries.

Yep. DIY LiFePO4. Watch the Will Prowse videos on YouTube. That's where I learned the basics. Then I came here to get schooled the rest of the way.

I'm about two months ahead of you. I have everything I need to do my install except the batteries.
Thats awesome! Congrats! Thank you for the info im going to go watch his videos now. I really need to get this out of my head and on paper. Keep me posted on how your build comes along

Back