diy solar

diy solar

Questions about Titan generators

Ols

Thinking about purchasing a Titan generator, read that when running the fans are loud. How true is this? Panels when connected to it need to be 24v or 12v wired in series? Anyone out there have a Titan, what's your experience with them? Thanks

I have a Titan with 3 batteries in my van and 4 (100w) panels connected in series on the roof. It did not work for me in parallel. I originally thought I would be able to connect the Titan to my van alternator using a "12v to 24v isolating stepup converter". I don't know the proper name of the unit, but I know they exist. I paid a licensed professional to do this, just to find out he kept trying to connect the Titan directly to my battery. Not good but luckily fuses blew protecting both. The owners of Point Zero Energy helped. I no longer work with that builder and plan on figuring out everything myself. The fan noise level is comparable to having a box fan on intermittently the room. Noticeable but not too bad. I have had my unit for a while now. The only quality issue I have pertains to the battery case where the spot welding is not sufficient. I can easily reattach it with adhesive or get it properly welded. I have been assured the later models have this issue corrected though. This might not be an issue for non-mobile builds. All in all, I have been so happy with the unit that I have bought 2 more batteries. I apologize if my answer is not up to par with technical jargon. I'm a learning novice. If you are planing on using it in a mobile system, I was told I just need to use a 175w inverter to attach the AC plug of my Titan to my van. Please let me know if you have further questions.

tempImage3RR45N.pngtempImageuacpXL.png

Thoosdi, thanks for the reply. Purchased a Titan last month have to wait until July for delivery. Plans are to use it as backup for power outages and when the power is on cut back on electricity. Last summer went through a power outage for two weeks. Bought the Titan generator only ,no panels. Right now in search for a couple of panels, around 300w 24v. Solar companies in my area are reluctant to sell a couple of panels. I see Renogy and Rich solar are sold out for now on what I am looking for. So the search continues. Glad to hear you are pleased with your Titan, hope it will be the same with me. Is your Titan the original or 2.0?

Last edited:
I have a Titan with 3 batteries in my van and 4 (100w) panels connected in series on the roof. It did not work for me in parallel. I originally thought I would be able to connect the Titan to my van alternator using a "12v to 24v isolating stepup converter". I don't know the proper name of the unit, but I know they exist. I paid a licensed professional to do this, just to find out he kept trying to connect the Titan directly to my battery. Not good but luckily fuses blew protecting both. The owners of Point Zero Energy helped. I no longer work with that builder and plan on figuring out everything myself. The fan noise level is comparable to having a box fan on intermittently the room. Noticeable but not too bad. I have had my unit for a while now. The only quality issue I have pertains to the battery case where the spot welding is not sufficient. I can easily reattach it with adhesive or get it properly welded. I have been assured the later models have this issue corrected though. This might not be an issue for non-mobile builds. All in all, I have been so happy with the unit that I have bought 2 more batteries. I apologize if my answer is not up to par with technical jargon. I'm a learning novice. If you are planing on using it in a mobile system, I was told I just need to use a 175w inverter to attach the AC plug of my Titan to my van. Please let me know if you have further questions.

View attachment 46782View attachment 46783
Question : How did you end up plugging all your 12v dc appliances to the titan in your van ? I was told by Point Zero that I needed to get a 12v to 24v dc dc step down inverter to power up more than 20a since all 12v ports are limited to 20a. I'm confused about the titan s capability to power up all my DC appliances adding up to more than 20amps if I run things simultaneously.
Help anybody ?

If your 12V DC load requires more than 20 amps from the Titan, you need a 24/12V DC-DC converter to plug into the Titan's wall charger port on the right side of the Titan. This charger port is directly connected to the Titan's 24V battery bus and load flowing through this port is registered on the Titan's front panel display. I use the Victron non-isolated 24/12-70a DC-DC converter for my 12V needs. This unit allows you to fine-tune the regulated voltage on the 12V nominal output to meet your particular application needs. Make up a 50a Anderson plug using #6 AWG to connect to one of the Titan's 24V charging ports on the right side of the unit, install an in-line fuse and connect the other end to the 24V positive lead and negative lead of the converter. The negative terminal is common for both the 24V and the 12V sides of the converter. Connect your 12V DC load to the 12V terminal of the converter. It's a quality unit and capable of feeding the DC system of most campers.

Thank you for all these valuable tips , couldn't find any thread online covering all aspects of wiring the titan to a self converted campervan.

Thank you for all these valuable tips , couldn't find any thread online covering all aspects of wiring the titan to a self converted campervan.
Check out these two threads:

There may be some helpful ideas in these discussions. I have successfully installed the Titan in my camper and use it all the time when boondocking.

After blowing capacitors on two different occasions while running a freezer on the other side of the house (load testing), I moved the unit next to my desk. I am running a workstation from it 24/7 and drawing a constant 200/300 watts. When it was connected to the freezer, I never heard the fans, but as I mentioned it was on the other side of the house. Now, I hear them 2-3 times a day during peak solar and only for a minute or two at a time.

I would agree that it sound like a box fan running on high. But it doesn't run constantly.

Back