diy solar

diy solar

Titan Solar Generator w/ BT & LiFePO4 expansion

CaptainElwood

This is not a how-to or a suggestion on how others should configure their Titan. I am a total novice and had never even looked into anything solar/battery/electrical related until I bought an RV 5 months ago...for all I know I am about to burn my entire RV to the ground...which is why I am posting here reaching out for help.

Any red flags to the following configuration?

I think my expansion battery is best described as a 2S2P? So, 4 total 12v 100ah batteries with 2 sets in series with those two sets in parallel. Each + lead has a 150 amp in line breakers. The BMS for these batteries is limited to 100 amps so it is my thought these breakers are redundant anyway but I really don't want to burn this thing up. The titan is wired to a switch via 6-3 Romex (coach has 50amp plug so I figured I would keep everything on the AC side rated for 50 amp even though the Titan is only 30 amp).
The switch is rated at 60amps and allowed me to keep 100% of the stock RV wiring untouched:
Set to 1 the RV is wired to the Titan
Set to 0 the RV has no AC hooked up
Set to 2 the RV is wired to the regular 50amp exterior female receptacle
titan.jpg

I read the quite lengthy discussion on mixing NMC and LiFePO4 with these Titans...sounds like in optimal circumstances this shouldn't be done. I bought the Titan before even knowing what these 2 chemistries were and paid quite a bit for it, so I am trying to make the best of it (in hindsight I should have just taken the plunge and built 100% custom). When I opened the Titan up I found that there is nothing special about how its configured, with maybe even a larger inverter likely possible. That also lead me to think about installing the Victron BMV-712. Right now it's great just to be able to wirelessly monitor this setup, but in the future, I was thinking if I wanted to prolong the Titan's NMC batteries even further I could use a relay to cut power from the solar charge controllers when the voltage exceeds 29.2v (or maybe even set it lower). This way I am not increasing the rate of degradation on my current LiFePO4 batteries by overcharging and could help out the NMCs get a little more life. Dumb idea? Not sure of the ramifications of using the BMV-712 to control the relays on both MPPTs but it seems like a simple way to avoid charging up to 29.4v or whatever others have seen these Titans do (I personally have never seen over 29.2v).

My main goal of this post is just to ensure I am not doing something that is inherently dangerous...I can live with having it set up less than optimally for battery life but really don't want to catch anything on fire.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

As an update, it has now been over a month of continuous use with this setup, and I have had no issues. I still haven't seen my voltage over 29.28v. When I saw this, I turned off the system and disconnected the batteries and checked each lead to LiFePO4 batteries in series. The LiFePO4 batteries were only at 28.8v, I am guessing the BMS kicks in and prevents overcharging? Not really sure but it has been working great running everything in my RV. I may add more as I just saw these same batteries are down to 325$ on amazon...which is crazy considering what batteries like this have been in the recent past.

Last edited:
Back