diy solar

diy solar

Random power outage EG4 6500 split phase

Signature solar replaced both of my EG4-6500EX inverters. The new ones have different internal connections. Got them installed two days ago. Ran off solar and batteries first day. Limited sun yesterday so batteries only 68%. Last night when batteries hit 30% it automatically cut over to grid and started charging batteries. NO OUTAGES OR FLICKERING! Batteries charged to 100% from grid then switched back to battery power. Cautiously optimistic that things are working as advertised. View attachment 125073
I wonder if there are more differences between the older and newer inverters or if your old ones were thought to be faulty. I like the newer wiring terminals, I managed to break one of the older style connectors. Glad to hear you haven't had any issues, please update if you do!

Signature solar replaced both of my EG4-6500EX inverters. The new ones have different internal connections. Got them installed two days ago. Ran off solar and batteries first day. Limited sun yesterday so batteries only 68%. Last night when batteries hit 30% it automatically cut over to grid and started charging batteries. NO OUTAGES OR FLICKERING! Batteries charged to 100% from grid then switched back to battery power. Cautiously optimistic that things are working as advertised. View attachment 125073
Excellent news @vanblokland. Hope everything goes well. Do you know what caused the original failures? Please LMK (PM if preferred).

I wonder if there are more differences between the older and newer inverters or if your old ones were thought to be faulty. I like the newer wiring terminals, I managed to break one of the older style connectors. Glad to hear you haven't had any issues, please update if you do!
I have mixed versions, the only difference noted is the metallic tape above the AC input/output and the wiring order was changed.

Just an update, this morning I put my 6 panels in series (540watt bifacial) and connected them to SP2 PV2. I'll run it like this for a while to see if I start getting power outages again. I'll be hooking up a second array the same size to SP1 PV2 hopefully by next weekend .

Just an update, this morning I put my 6 panels in series (540watt bifacial) and connected them to SP2 PV2. I'll run it like this for a while to see if I start getting power outages again. I'll be hooking up a second array the same size to SP1 PV2 hopefully by next weekend .
So before you had 2 separate 3S strings correct? What was the Voc for each array?

So before you had 2 separate 3S strings correct? What was the Voc for each array?
Correct, each panel is 49.8volts stc rating and 46.5volts nmot. I attached a screenshot of what the total per array was trending at before I made the changes. It would peak around 130volts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221221-102646.png
    Screenshot_20221221-102646.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I finished installing my second 6 panel array yesterday, both arrays are connected to pv2 on each inverter. No power outages to report. I do not have anything hooked up to pv1 on either inverter

Great! Keep us updated! I noticed in my particular case, I would have the outages either around sunrise/set or when it was a really overcast day and the mppt was working really hard to find the proper power point. That's when the voltages ended up dropping at or below the 90s.

If you are running split phase on battery or solar without removing all but one of the N/G bond screws you are introducing multiple n/g returns. This can cause circulating current to flow between inverters. I have observed this to cause things to happen ie flickering lights etc. You are correct that you might not see any difference however this fixed my flickering lights issue stopped my random power outages and the F80 fault I was getting on another system I built. This could have been a coincidence as I have not put my N/G bond screw back in to see if the problems I had come back. However to your point, the removal of the N/G bond did not change any of the symptoms that some others are experiencing. I'm curious to find out what signature solar comes back with. I might apply an external jumper to recreate the N/G bond that would allow me to clamp with a meter to see if there is current flow under normal conditions and report back.
from SS:

"We do not recommend removing the ground neutral bond screw within these inverters as this can void your warranty."

from SS:

"We do not recommend removing the ground neutral bond screw within these inverters as this can void your warranty."
I have been running for a few days now on my EG4 6500 install, all factory NG bonding entact (I have given up on this for now and trust the designers know what they are doing). The first configuration was 4 inverters on split phase and yesterday switched over to six inverters. Yesterday was very overcast and most inverters were around 90V or less and putting out 15w to 115w. Inv 5 I have two strings of 7 in parallel into PV1 and that is performing 3x or more output than my single strings of 8, with 265V (out of 265) and 235w. The only flicker I get on battery mode with 4 inverters is when making shakes with our Ninja. Every time I pulse the power every light (both LED and incandescent show a voltage drop). I haven’t done this yet on battery with 6 inverters.

I am curious about this condition and will go back and review what your setup is to see if there is something logical about this F80 fault. I agree with others here that some unbalanced condition is likely. On another thread someone had an arc on short and it crashed all inverters. Now one of them will not charge the batteries. I would like Signature Solar to replicate an Arc fault to see what happens to the inverter.

Last edited:
Did you remove the N/G bond screw from 2p2?
I think it is nuts that a circuit card assembly must be removed to access the NG bond screw. I am surprised that SS is authorizing this. Something seems wrong with the overall concept of NG bonding and needs to be redesigned to handle various configurations. I am running 6 inverters with NG bond in load panel only. No issues observed so far.

I have been running for a few days now on my EG4 6500 install, all factory NG bonding entact (I have given up on this for now and trust the designers know what they are doing). The first configuration was 4 inverters on split phase and yesterday switched over to six inverters. Yesterday was very overcast and most inverters were around 90V or less and putting out 15w to 115w. Inv 5 I have two strings of 7 in parallel into PV1 and that is performing 3x or more output than my single strings of 8, with 265V (out of 265) and 235w. The only flicker I get on battery mode with 4 inverters is when making shakes with our Ninja. Every time I pulse the power every light (both LED and incandescent show a voltage drop). I haven’t done this yet on battery with 6 inverters.

I am curious about this condition and will go back and review what your setup is to see if there is something logical about this F80 fault. I agree with others here that some unbalanced condition is likely. On another thread someone had an arc on short and it crashed all inverters. Now one of them will not charge the batteries. I would like Signature Solar to replicate an Arc fault to see what happens to the inverter.
About a month ago I was using the solar assistant simulated BMS. One morning I couldn't get my system to go to SBU mode even though the app was showing the batteries at 30%. I opened my battery cabinet to find both batteries shutdown due to low voltage, when I turned off the simulated BMS in solar assistant the batteries displayed 0% charge. (Luckily the internal battery protection isolated them). So while both batteries were off, the inverters we're able to run in bypass mode. Last week I was flashing the firmware in my batteries and I was trying to not shut down the inverters (simulate what had happened when both batteries were at 0%). I assumed when I turned off my DC breakers the inverters would go to bypass. I have 2, 200 amp breakers on the positive leg to each inverter. When I opened one of the breakers, the inverter it was connected to displayed an F80 fault and shut down all output from both inverters. I did not expect this, by disconnecting a positive from one inverter, the system faulted and shutdown. I don't know if it was due to the negative leg still being connected or if it was because one inverter was still hooked up to the battery. Going forward I will only disconnect batteries by opening the breaker on the batteries themselves if I want to keep the inverters running. I found the F80 fault a strange error given the conditions. I suppose moral of the story is, if you have an F80 fault, check your DC to the inverters (connections, breakers, crimps etc). I don't care to force the system into fault conditions so I don't think I'll try to replicate this one.

I wonder if that is because you have the EG4 batteries and they require comms? I can disconnect my batteries from the units and run bypass. I did this as my first test run with only AC In, then AC In with solar on as well. But mine are set to USE as I built my own packs.

I wonder if that is because you have the EG4 batteries and they require comms? I can disconnect my batteries from the units and run bypass. I did this as my first test run with only AC In, then AC In with solar on as well. But mine are set to USE as I built my own packs.
How did you disconnect your batteries? I think I did have them in eg4 mode the time I received the F80 fault

I removed the lug with the units off. I can try turning them off with a breaker at some point when I'm on bypass.

About a month ago I was using the solar assistant simulated BMS. One morning I couldn't get my system to go to SBU mode even though the app was showing the batteries at 30%. I opened my battery cabinet to find both batteries shutdown due to low voltage, when I turned off the simulated BMS in solar assistant the batteries displayed 0% charge. (Luckily the internal battery protection isolated them). So while both batteries were off, the inverters we're able to run in bypass mode. Last week I was flashing the firmware in my batteries and I was trying to not shut down the inverters (simulate what had happened when both batteries were at 0%). I assumed when I turned off my DC breakers the inverters would go to bypass. I have 2, 200 amp breakers on the positive leg to each inverter. When I opened one of the breakers, the inverter it was connected to displayed an F80 fault and shut down all output from both inverters. I did not expect this, by disconnecting a positive from one inverter, the system faulted and shutdown. I don't know if it was due to the negative leg still being connected or if it was because one inverter was still hooked up to the battery. Going forward I will only disconnect batteries by opening the breaker on the batteries themselves if I want to keep the inverters running. I found the F80 fault a strange error given the conditions. I suppose moral of the story is, if you have an F80 fault, check your DC to the inverters (connections, breakers, crimps etc). I don't care to force the system into fault conditions so I don't think I'll try to replicate this one.
When I close my CB to any inverter, it shuts down abruptly, this can then trigger an unbalanced load causing all others to turn off. Definitely don’t want to do that. Turn power off at inverter and only flip battery bus CB to inverter when inverter display shows it is off.

I think @PreppenWolf is right. I wonder if it has something to do with using EG4 Comms to the inverters. I don't know if disconnecting a breaker in an EG4 battery interrupts the communication flow between packs. Seems kinda silly if it does though.

While I have never disconnected both battery banks, I can isolate a single bank at a time without issues because the other bank is just picking up the slack. Then when you reconnect the banks together, there's a small (depending on loads and how long it was disconnected) rush of current to balance the packs back out.

F80 is listed in the modbus document as CAN Communication Failure. So I believe you can avoid that by moving to USE, but obviously you'd lose the data gathering/visibility. For me that's not an issue because I'm already not using a comms battery and later will be installing a shunt to track total battery usage anyway.

F80 is listed in the modbus document as CAN Communication Failure. So I believe you can avoid that by moving to USE, but obviously you'd lose the data gathering/visibility. For me that's not an issue because I'm already not using a comms battery and later will be installing a shunt to track total battery usage anyway.
Since then I have hooked the batteries to solar assistant and I'm running in USE mode. I don't really want to initiate a fault condition to test it though

Hello yall, not sure If this will help since I have EG4 6000EX, but I was having a similar issue at all different times, battery, solar. I am completely off grid and my power would go out for 3 to 5sec and come back on, been in contact with SS and as of yesterday EG4 had a new firmware update for the 6000 inverters and so far little over 24 hours have not had a power outage. I also flashed the inverters last Friday for the "61" and have not had it come up. Hope this helps.
My system
2 EG4 6000EX, 4 EG4 LL Ver1, 1 Big Battery APE 11.2KW 230AH

Attachments

• 20221219_062244.jpg
    20221219_062244.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221218_174339.jpg
    20221218_174339.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221218_174231.jpg
    20221218_174231.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 24
Well thought the issue had been resolved, I just had a power outage for about 5sec, batteries are @82%. Monday it went out 4 times in 1 hour. Made it 28 hours without an outage. I will continue to deal with SS, will post a update as soon as I hear back.

diy solar

diy solar
Back