diy solar

diy solar

Random questions, van build

mitchk1303

Hey all, I am building out a van and I ran into some random questions I was curious about. The first is regusrding my DC to DC charger. I am using the renogy 60 amp model. I plan on using 1 awg cable from the starter battery to the charger. My question is: does it matter if I use 6awg cable on the output side? The run is only 1 ft so 6awg is plenty according to my calculations. I am using the dc to DC negative connection as the van ground since it is non isolating. This means. I should keep 1awg for the negative output of the charger to the negative bus bar right? I will probably just use 1awg for everything but I was just curious if technically I could use 6awg just for the positive output.

My second question is regarding my victron shunt. I am using 1/0 cable for each of my two 300ah lifepo4 batteries. So there are two negative leads going to the shunt. My question is does it make a difference if I attach two 1/0 cables from the shunt to the negative bus bar vs one 4/0 cable.

These were both random questions I was curious about. Thanks!

1/0 is 150A rated so 200 makes sense

For the 4/0 that’s probably pretty short I would use 4/0 between shunt. Not dbl up 1/0

Back