diy solar

diy solar

Ready to install a modest off-grid solar system for a shed

stephenph

I am starting to gather info and components for a modest solar system for a "She-Shack". I also hope to allow for running/diverting power to several freezers in the main house if needed in the future (in that case the power focus will be on the house freezers and food storage.) I am following Will's 24v RV setup modified slightly for a non mobile setup.

First question is the site plan. I already have a South facing location for the panels with enough space for 8-16 panels (Starting with 4x200W, just to get the system up and producing enough for minimal function.)

First question... would it be best to install the batteries in a "battery shack" under / behind the panels, or should I install the batteries/integrated BMS unit, sub panel, etc next to the she-shack. (due to space constraints I don't want the batteries IN the she=shack) The solar panel location is about 50' from the shack, and about 200' from the main house panel (across the septic field if that makes a difference). My current plan is to build a block structure (or possibly get an outdoor telecom equipment enclosure) behind the panels that will house the battery rack and the other electronics. then run power from there to the shack and the main house.

Hi, I don't suggest install the batteries under / behind the panels...panels should be installed outside to get as much solar power as possible, while the batteries should be put indoors. You should keep the batteries away from heat, strong wind, fluid and rain. Installing the batteries outdoors is not good....

1. What kind of batteries are you considering?
2. Where do you live? What climate will thw batteries be exposed to?

Back