diy solar

diy solar

Planning a grid tie system plus a modest back up for a new home build

skyking1

I am running conduit and chases to the roof for this purpose.
My goal is to replace most of the power used, plus back up about 7200W of essential loads for outages.
The house is a self design and build, I will pull all the permits and perform the work.
I did not tie the energy credits to the solar, so I do not need to finish it before occupancy.
My PUD has a straightforward net metering agreement that I will apply for. It will bank for us until March 1, where the bank resets and you lose any excess.
Hence the goal is to come in under a little and not just give it away.
Washington State will adopt NEC 2023 tomorrow.
1) I have to provide a shutoff for the power located on the outside of the structure.
2) I will provide a physical solar panel disconnect adjacent to that, if needed.
3) I will provide an RSD switch at the same location.

This will not be at the meter location, because the meter pedestal is about 50' from the home and next to the transformer. This is due to wanting a shop and putting in two panels and a single 400A meter base. They will aggregate a couple of meters if asked, but one meter is simpler IMO. They hit us pretty hard with a $41.92 monthly meter read and relatively low KWH of a flat $0.0797/KWH rate.

I have ~13' high by 36' wide of south facing upper roof, less the required Fire department pathway.
I have a lower roof that is shaded in the morning, measuring ~18' wide by 20' tall. Microinverters and using only the western half will help with that shading.
This is the less desireable overflow area. Both roofs are 3:12 pitch but I prefer to have the panels flat to that for appearance's sake. I'll take that hit, rather than rack it higher.
Roof is standing seam metal that is suited to a no penetration installation with S5! clips or similar.
I'm dedicating the top 7' of the upper roof to solar heat collection at this time, hence that difference in size.

So there it is. What kind of panel, microinverter, backup inverter for the 7200W, batteries and other hardware do you all suggest?

Back