diy solar

diy solar

Build a solar system on-grid with no net meter?

jrbshyhfjnthftb

My utility has the highest rates in my state (Oregon) which should make it a no-brainer to want solar. Problem is, they also have a Moratorium on net meters. This seems to leave me the option of no solar and pay their rates, or go off grid which I believe would be too expensive due to the battery requirements.

Before we ran into the net meter issue we had a professional installer work up the CAD for a roof mounted system using 46 Suntec STP370S-B60/WNHB modules to produce 17.020 kW DC, 16.380 kW AC. A rather sizeable system since we use a lot of power.

Is there something that can be done to install solar but not need a net meter? What kind of creative options might exist?

Use an inverter with a power meter and a zero export setting you can use.
Ran that way grid tied for almost 2 years before got enough power/battery capacity to go off grid.

I just did it, didn’t ask them, didn’t tell them (power distributor)

Get inverter that is batteries optional. If your rates are high, batteries in the $0.05/kWh cycle life range may give good payback vs. discarding surplus production.

Shifting when loads are applied is even better. But many (e.g. heating appliances) switch on and off, so small high current battery needed to smooth out loads.

You can also get standalone AC coupled batteries. The off-brand hybrids with 48V batteries are likely cheapest. Some name brands are quite expensive. You may be required to have a UL listed ESS (battery and inverter listed as a pair.)

Back