diy solar

diy solar

Have not been able to find a comparable configuration

red_vette

I have been doing a lot of reading on various approaches to solar and storage solutions. However, I mostly see solutions based around a 200A service with a single main panel.

Currently, we have a 360A service with 2 200A main panels that each feed a large panels inside the home. Each panel has around 30 breakers. We also have a 26kW Kholer generator (natural gas) that feeds an ATS for each of the outside main panels. The house is a little over 6000 sq/ft ranch with the space split evenly between the main and terrace level. I have moved my parents in with us so power use is more typical of two households with one of them being home all day. Power usage average arounds 90kWh per day.

If feasible, I would like to invest in either a gride tied solar system or solar/battery hybrid. Electricity is cheap enough that the generator is only a good substitute for an extended power outage. We only have about 10-12 years for ROI since we plan on moving, but with our average power bill that's roughly $48k at today's cost it seems like something should be possible. Any insights on where to even looks start with a setup like this would be appreciated. I don't feel like I even know enough to talk to local installers and know if they are recommending a good solution.

Thanks!

Hi red_vette,
With installer charges (unless you are 100% DIY), I'm thinking it will be very difficult to pull a 10-12 year ROI. I didn't see it in the math when I look at my setup anyhow. Hopefully others have better news, but I want to make sure you have some realistic responses.

I have much smaller usage than 90kw a day, and I'll have more than 48k into a setup to cover my meager usage. I hope you can pull it off though if that is a priority for you.

Wild guess is that you have enough land for ground mount solar, and will need about 33kW of panels. At 3.0 cents per watt, that is about $100,000 for panels, less 30% federal tax credit. So net about $70,000, assuming you benefit from the credit.

Put two Sol-ark 15k's where your service line comes in at the two 200 amps panel. You can easily add batteries, depending on how reliable your grid, and if you have time of use pricing.

Go to sol-ark's website, and look for installers near you.

Wild guess is that you have enough land for ground mount solar, and will need about 33kW of panels. At 3.0 cents per watt, that is about $100,000 for panels, less 30% federal tax credit. So net about $70,000, assuming you benefit from the credit.

Put two Sol-ark 15k's where your service line comes in at the two 200 amps panel. You can easily add batteries, depending on how reliable your grid, and if you have time of use pricing.

Go to sol-ark's website, and look for installers near you.
Hi red_vette,
With installer charges (unless you are 100% DIY), I'm thinking it will be very difficult to pull a 10-12 year ROI. I didn't see it in the math when I look at my setup anyhow. Hopefully others have better news, but I want to make sure you have some realistic responses.

I have much smaller usage than 90kw a day, and I'll have more than 48k into a setup to cover my meager usage. I hope you can pull it off though if that is a priority for you.

The biggest that concerns me is the $.08kWh (+fees) that we pay today could skyrocket in the next 5 or so years turning a $400 electric bill into thousands. The hope is that panel and battery costs come down a lot in that time.

The biggest that concerns me is the $.08kWh (+fees) that we pay today could skyrocket in the next 5 or so years turning a $400 electric bill into thousands. The hope is that panel and battery costs come down a lot in that time.
Fair point. It's harder to know for sure on a shorter timeframe. The long term price trend seems pretty clear though. I agree with that.

The biggest that concerns me is the $.08kWh (+fees) that we pay today could skyrocket in the next 5 or so years turning a $400 electric bill into thousands.
So do you want a 10 year ROI or do you want to place a bet that that is going to happen and a 20 year ROI will become a 10 year.

Probably better off buying stocks.

If your motivation is financial and your power is $.08 right now and you already have a backup gen I would do nothing.

Back