diy solar

diy solar

Recycling Large Lifepo4 batteries

weirded

Having a somewhat difficult time finding a place locally that'll take back my 10kWh (200Ah x 48V) LiFepo4 batteries. Wondering if anyone has had any success doing this, and what kind of places they went to?

Do I need to deconstruct the batteries into smaller/individual cells?

The original manufacturer has gone out of business.

Any pointers appreciated.

Yeah, probably hard or nearly impossible.

Can't dispose of solar panels where I am so I posted them for free on craigslist. Maybe that would work for the batteries too?

Or maybe try this?

Down cycle? Do they still function or they completely trashed? I'd gladly take some old and worn but functioning lifepo4 batteries. They can always do light duty work till the cows come home.

Down cycle? Do they still function or they completely trashed? I'd gladly take some old and worn but functioning lifepo4 batteries. They can always do light duty work till the cows come home.
They’re unfortunately damaged and no longer workable safely. Chemicals oozed out of some of the cells and burnt/melted balance wires.

redwoodmaterials.com
It was started by one of the Founders of Tesla, JB Straubel. On their site is a list of cities they serve. They list cities in California.

Last edited:
They’re unfortunately damaged and no longer workable safely. Chemicals oozed out of some of the cells and burnt/melted balance wires.
Would you mind to post pictures and what/how did it take to reach that damaged point?
It will be a good lesson for us as well.

ah dang. Judging by your forum post on it that company sounds SKETCHY. If you do find a recycler, you could keep the metal cases and bits and unburnt bobs for future projects.

redwoodmaterials.com
It was started by one of the Founders of Tesla, JB Straubel. On their site is a list of cities they serve. They list cities in California.
Oops I missed this post. Thanks for the pointer, will investigate!

Have you checked your local dump? Many have battery/electronics recycling. I had to get rid of a bunch of home UPS units and that's where I went. Didn't cost anything.

Have you checked your local dump? Many have battery/electronics recycling. I had to get rid of a bunch of home UPS units and that's where I went. Didn't cost anything.
Yeah, I've been talking to them, and they're wanting me to go to some vendors.

I really want to avoid having to disassemble these myself, there are chemicals in there that are likely toxic, and the burnt wire bundles are likely to cause additional shorts as I work on them.

I am running into the same problem with trying to recycle an older byd 24 volt battery. No one wants to recycle it and no one wants the battery. It still have some life in it if someone wants it. I am in South Carolina, it will be FREE to anyone that needs it

Back