diy solar

diy solar

Refrigerator opinions and options please

Newenough

Currently have in our off grid cabin for the last 5 years a Dometic 12cf unit. Propane only as it draws a LOT of power on electric mode. I feel we have enough solar and battery now to go full electric. The DC units cost/size are pretty much a non starter and trying to stay more "big box off the shelf". Mainly for repair and warranty if needed. Ive found many that use very little power (40-60 watts/hour), but my concern is the auto defrost consumption. How much a factor is it in 24 hours and is it even a concern at all? Also, do they even make manual defrost fridges anymore? Any advise to consider and do you have a model that works well in mind?

Thanks for the input.

I have an LG 279 litre inverter fridge with freezer compartment at the top. I checked its energy use mid-summer, day time temp 30c or higher and no aircon, and it came in around 850 Wh / day.

I saw a recent review of a $1000 DC 12/24V fridge this off grid couple used that did NOT have auto-defrost. I'd link if you didn't rule out DC. But, it does give you hope that someone is making new ones w/o auto-defrost.

I have an LG 279 litre inverter fridge with freezer compartment at the top. I checked its energy use mid-summer, day time temp 30c or higher and no aircon, and it came in around 850 Wh / day.
Do you have a model number?

GT279-MWL, its a few years old now and no longer available, but it hasn't missed a beat. It's full on summer here right now so I can hook up my watt meter and map the exact consumption it does across a 24 hour period, and when it does it.

GT279-MWL, its a few years old now and no longer available, but it hasn't missed a beat. It's full on summer here right now so I can hook up my watt meter and map the exact consumption it does across a 24 hour period, and when it does it.

That's what I want but cant seem to find here. I understand its based on sales volume but I would think someone somewhere would sell it here in the US. Im sure they do but I cant find them....

Question. Is a VCC (Variable Capacity Compressor) just another name for digital inverter compressor? Ive found a company selling Beko VCC fridges. Never heard of either.

The best compressor in the world (to me) "Swing Compressor motor" seen in the Engel line of coolers. You can also get units from them to make your own built in fridge. So called ice box conversion kits. I have been hunting for an old retro style fridge to do that with.

AVOID inverter fridges with a Panasonic controller/compressor. the defrost cycles kill a ton of power. if it has auto defrost and your off grid try to avoid it.

The best compressor in the world (to me) "Swing Compressor motor" seen in the Engel line of coolers. You can also get units from them to make your own built in fridge. So called ice box conversion kits. I have been hunting for an old retro style fridge to do that with.

AVOID inverter fridges with a Panasonic controller/compressor. the defrost cycles kill a ton of power. if it has auto defrost and your off grid try to avoid it.
totally agree.. i love my engel

diy solar

diy solar
Back