diy solar

diy solar

remote on/off control of a Grundfos SQ Flex, or anything else for that matter

Ptom

This would be for remote control of my Flex pump in my spring box I installed late last fall. I can either try to use all the water it will pump in a day (3 to 5,000 gallons,) plus the 2,000 gallon storage tank has an overflow to safely direct it wherever, or from time to time I may choose to shut it off. MUCH too far, 2000', for the usual signal wire used in conjunction with the Grundfos control box, it's about 600' max. I also don't have a control box as part of my pump install, as I know from past experience (I've installed 20-30 of them, in the past, a few years ago now, for ranchers and off gridders) it is NOT needed, other than for control of a float switch, to display error codes, to serve as a mean to manually turn the pump on/off, and as a visible display of watts being produced and what phase of operation the pump is in. So, my 1040 watt array simply goes thru a breaker and then to the pump, simple.

I have used a couple of these in various applications the last two years, I have them controlling a micro mini acutator, that would be more than powerful enough to flip the breaker on/off: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HN3Y6CT?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 Cost for the remote controller and the actuator is about $60.00 total. I have used these up to 75' away and they work reliably, so what I need is a signal amplifier of some kind to make it work 2000' away, good, direct line of sight BTW (downhill also, 300' lower that should help, right?!). It would be a simple matter to rig the mechanical linkage between the mini actuator and the breaker switch. The actuator came with a card from the US based company, with a link asking for comments etc., I will contact them and see if they can help make this happen for me. The applications could of course be for many more things than the water pump.

I am aware of devices that use a cell phone, I had one for my crane yard heat, but the system needed 24/7 AC power plus the cell provider subscription. IF I can get the signal to the unit with either a stronger transmitter signal or a more sensitive receiver (I'm thinking the more powerful transmitter is probably more feasible), all I would need would be a bit of 12 VDC power down at the pump house, KISS applies here, I'll report back what the actuator techies tells me, if anything.

This would be for remote control of my Flex pump in my spring box I installed late last fall. I can either try to use all the water it will pump in a day (3 to 5,000 gallons,) plus the 2,000 gallon storage tank has an overflow to safely direct it wherever, or from time to time I may choose to shut it off. MUCH too far, 2000', for the usual signal wire used in conjunction with the Grundfos control box, it's about 600' max. I also don't have a control box as part of my pump install, as I know from past experience (I've installed 20-30 of them, in the past, a few years ago now, for ranchers and off gridders) it is NOT needed, other than for control of a float switch, to display error codes, to serve as a mean to manually turn the pump on/off, and as a visible display of watts being produced and what phase of operation the pump is in. So, my 1040 watt array simply goes thru a breaker and then to the pump, simple.

I have used a couple of these in various applications the last two years, I have them controlling a micro mini acutator, that would be more than powerful enough to flip the breaker on/off: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HN3Y6CT?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 Cost for the remote controller and the actuator is about $60.00 total. I have used these up to 75' away and they work reliably, so what I need is a signal amplifier of some kind to make it work 2000' away, good, direct line of sight BTW (downhill also, 300' lower that should help, right?!). It would be a simple matter to rig the mechanical linkage between the mini actuator and the breaker switch. The actuator came with a card from the US based company, with a link asking for comments etc., I will contact them and see if they can help make this happen for me. The applications could of course be for many more things than the water pump.

I am aware of devices that use a cell phone, I had one for my crane yard heat, but the system needed 24/7 AC power plus the cell provider subscription. IF I can get the signal to the unit with either a stronger transmitter signal or a more sensitive receiver (I'm thinking the more powerful transmitter is probably more feasible), all I would need would be a bit of 12 VDC power down at the pump house, KISS applies here, I'll report back what the actuator techies tells me, if anything.

Lots of stuff like this.

dstfuy Wireless Remote Switch 12V,1500M Meters Long Distance,DC 12V/24V/48V/72V /40A Relay RF Remote Control Switch for Water Pump Motor Lighting Farm Agriculture(Switch 12V) https://a.co/d/09pQ2QV

Can't find a link but they make latching relays that stay on or off after momentary power input. (Used as master battery switches for RV's)

Good find! That would seem to be exactly what I am looking for, and the price is a bargain. Thanks much.

Ha! I JUST NOW noticed that I failed to see they make a DC model also, I ordered one months ago, an AC one it turns out, in the middle of winter, and somehow didn't notice at the time they make both DC and AC models. I just ordered the proper, DC, model, and will use the AC one next winter for a more reliable ( the remote control outlet switch cheapie I now use is right at it's distance limit and sometimes requires me to go outside, defeating it's purpose somewhat) remote turn on for my 1500 watt space heater I use to pre heat the interior, kept in a unheated pole barn. When I searched for this old thread, and clicked again on the link Checkthisout helpfully provided, this time I immediately saw the DC model, don't know how I missed it the first time! Maybe I did, but just clicked wrong, whatever, but I am eager to put it to use. The 1000 watt array (moved via tractor up the hill several hundred feet to my main power shack early this winter, supplying power to my Outback VFXS grid tied inverter, along with other misc. PV panels, is getting moved back down today, I'll post a picture later on how the move went.

Not really remote control, but since my well is ony about a 5 minute walk away, and I don't like starting up the SQF without "being there" to watch initial voltage/current/pressure, I use one of these:

to only run it as long as I would like, rather than all day.

Simple, and works. I buried a multi-conductor wire with the 800' of PEX between the well and my storage tanks so I could use a solid state relay, but have never gotten around to implementing it.

Yes, those spring wound timers are handy, though not applicable for my situation. Countdown timers (Amazon, of course) are what I use on charging my electric bikes: plug a device into them, cycle a push button from 30 min., 1 hr, 2 hrs, up to 6 hours, and it auto shuts off. Exactly like a spring wound one, but cheaper, and they don't have to be hard wired just plugged into.
Got my solar array moved, not quite as sketchy as it looks, and only took an hour. I just could not stand the thought of the 1000 watt PV array sitting idle all fall, winter, and spring, just being used for summertime spring pumping. So, having a tractor, being a pro crane operator and used to moving things around, I relocated it in the cooler months, where it's output can be plugged into my main grid tied PV setup. Sunny winter days, I was glad I did, from before the first frost to almost June 1 st., (my first season of moving it) it will actually spend more time grid tied then water pumping. It's pumping 1/2 mile away, 300' vert up, to my 2000 gallon storage tank behind the house visible in the distance.IMG_20230521_151949627.jpgIMG_20230521_154904052.jpg

Back