diy solar

diy solar

BMS and inverter question

jsemon

I currently have a portable 120v heat pump that at the most draws 1050 watts when It runs in the winter and isn't constant but cold weather runs more frequently. In addition I have tv, light, fan, mini fridge, and a couple others. a
All together without heat pump its about 250-500 watts and 1kw for heat pump. I don't run all at once but worst case I assume I could use 1500 watts in the building. I have a 1000 watt inverter and a 100ah 12v life p04, 30/100 victron mppt, 4-12v 100 watt panels. I'm only running off the 3 outlets on the inverter and running the TV and other stuff when I'm in there and my system spends most days in absorption or float. The heat pump is running off the grid. I would like to run all of the building from a solar set up but I know I will need to go bigger. I have a 50amp transfer switch that Will did a video on that Will had a video on to put in as well. I plan on adding batteries and changing inverter so I stop wasting what my panels could potentially provide. I know I will need at least a 2000 watt inverter but this is currently a 12v system and the bms is 100a which will limit my draw to 1200 I assume. If I add more batteries of the same 12v 100ah will this be an issue at worst case scenario attempting to drawing approximately 1500w with my batteries at 12v with the 100a bms with 3 or 4 in parallel and if I used 4 in series/parallel to create 24v system would that work?

Sorry, I'm a newb but I would think changing over to a 24V battery system and 2000W inverter would get what you want to do with a bit of headroom.

Can you find another 12V 100Ah battery and put them in series?

I can't answer the solar charging part. Good Luck

How long do you want to run the heatpump? One 100a 12v battery will run it for 1 hour.
It has a thermostat and I keep it set to 62when I'm not in there. I have a smart outlet and it tells me power consumption and at the coldest I think or was around 7kw for the hole day n night fot the heat pump alone. I believe once I get the window where the two vents for the condenser intake/exhaust sealed better and various other air infiltration points better it will go down more. But I leave it on with the thermostat so I assume I could use about 8kw in the building at the highest in one day. I already asked someone else about the bms potentially being an issue limiting current but it was explained that paralleling batteries and how you wire the battery bank will evenly spread the draw across all batteries and shouldn't be an issue. I will be converting to a 24v system with 24v batteries and play with the load to see where the sweet spot is so I don't think my concern about pulling 1500w at once would ever be an issue with a 24v system.

Back