diy solar

diy solar

Remote Reboot Growatt - Help?

wittyhome

I have two Growatt LVM-ES SPF 3000TL 's and EV4 LiFePower batteries. Growatt Wifi Module on each one, and I control them via Shine / server-us.growatt.com. I don't have Solar Assistant set up on a Pi. I often go long periods without physical access to the inverter. One just started.

This rainy week the batteries depleted too far and the units switched to grid bypass. But now they're stuck in grid bypass and won't take any PV energy. Searching the forums says rebooting these units is a thing. The only way I've known so far to reboot them is to cut off all three power sources manually (battery, PV, and grid.) But I often don't have physical access to them.

1 - Can I send a reboot command remotely? How? Best is to go through the Shine cloud server UI, maybe by writing a value to a specific register. If that won't work, I'd take sending a command via API or even VPN-ing in and sending a UDP command to the WiFi Dongles if necessary. Whatever works.

2 - When I'm there, is there an easy way to reboot it locally at the interface without cutting 3 power sources? How?

3 - Is there a way to poll the WiFi module to get immediate data, so I don't have to wait for the cloud server to update? The Shine cloud server has an "Advanced Read" button but I don't know any of the register values that might work there.

Thanks for your help!

When I'm there, is there an easy way to reboot it locally at the interface without cutting 3 power sources? How?
Power switch off. Wait until it shuts down. Then Power back on. Sometimes you need to turn off the solar input also.

Power switch off. Wait until it shuts down. Then Power back on. Sometimes you need to turn off the solar input also.
Yep! That's been my only way so far. Not super practical though. Really hoping it can be done through software remotely.

You could use a wifi enabled switch to open the power switch loop. If done at night, you wouldn't need to tune off the solar.

Any idea if something fancier like Solar Assistant can do it? This would be a singular reason to purchase the license if it does.

Yep! That's been my only way so far. Not super practical though. Really hoping it can be done through software remotely.
I'm not aware of a complete reboot function at all (other than power cycling by disconnecting the battery), but you can remotely turn on and off the inverter through the Shine phone app. The setting (as well as a bunch of others) is found in the Control tab and is called Remote Switch. You'll need the password to get in. With that function, if you leave the power button on then you can remotely turn it off and back on at will from anywhere as long as both host and remote have internet. If the hardware button is on but the remote switch is off, anytime power is coming in from any source the hardware will still be up and running (or turn on if it's off) and will do battery charging. However at night or when there is no charging, if the switch is set to off the whole thing will shut down like it normally would with a button. The only problem you may run into, which I have, is if the Wi-Fi adapter goes offline and you're in the off state, turning the power button on doesn't start up the inverter like it would have before you messed with the remote switch. I believe my solution in that case until I got my Wi-Fi adapter back online was to power down the whole unit by removing battery power, and of course any charging inputs first. Then when you turn everything back on, the remote switch is set back to the default (which I believe is on) and should then allow you to turn on the power switch and have inverter again.

I seem to be back to "Stuck in Grid Bypass" mode again. Without physically going on-site to turn off the solar panels, is there any way to reboot them to get them un-stuck? Has any firmware update added this? For the future, is there any device or register that could accomplish this?

Back