diy solar

diy solar

remote temperature sensor

yodamota

Solar Enthusiast
So I finally received my remote temperature sensor for the Morningstar mppt tristar 60amp. I was thinking it was going to be a side mount unit( similar to the RTS for my outback power Charge controller) At last it was not. I am wondering if it needs to be connected to the terminal at all? It has +/_ connections up at the charge controller.

I could easily mount it on the side ;D

Either way will work, but the batteries have a lot of thermal inertia. If they are in a constant or very slowly changing temperature environment, then the mounting wont be important. If the temperature around the batteries can change more rapidly than the battery temperature does, then post mount the sensor.

yes I decided to just mount it on the side for now. Putting it on a battery terminal seems like a good way for ambient air to change its reading. I also need to shut everything down just to do this. I will carve out a piece of 1" or 2" XPS to cover the battery temp sensors

My system is finally working as close to insync now that both charge controllers have temperature compensation! what a relief!

Back