diy solar

diy solar

Removing factory converter/charger in 50A RV, please advise

ill.behavior

*This may have been answered somewhere else, so feel free to link another applicable thread*

My 2009 fifth wheel came wired as such:

PD 9180ALV 80A lead acid converter/charger with dual positive and negative terminals on the bottom. Positive #1 goes to fused DC load center, positive #2 goes to battery box. Negative #1 routes to battery, negative #2 is unused. It has three 30A fuses next to the terminals. Chassis ground wire connects to GND terminal at top of unit. AC power plugs into outlet to the right of the unit.

In the battery box, there is a two-terminal positive bus bar. This connects to converter/charger, battery, and a couple of other unidentified wires. One of these wires had an inline 30A fuse, which was blown when I inspected it upon losing power to my landing gear so I assume that it goes to the jacks. No other negative connection in battery box besides battery<->converter.

The battery is about shot, and the converter/charger died the other day. I was fine with that, because I’m switching ti lithium, anyway. I have a 100Ah LiFePO4 battery on the way, and my plan was to buy an inexpensive 20-40A LiFePO4 AC/DC charger to replace the the converter/charger. My thought was to plug the charger into the AC outlet, run the positive and negative leads to the battery terminals, connect the positive terminal of the battery to the positive bud bar in the battery box, and crimp together the ends of the positive cables that currently attach to the converter/charger. That way charging power gets to the battery, and and the battery will directly power the DC load center.

The math works out, but I realize I have not factored in the now unused GND connection that went to the top of the converter/charger. Do I need to route that to the battery? Or is the grounded AC connection on the new charger sufficient? And do I need to worry about additional fusing?

I hope that made sense!

Could you please provide a before and after diagram?

Also, do you know how the 12V from the tow vehicle ties into the trailer 12V (or not)?

Could you please provide a before and after diagram?

Also, do you know how the 12V from the tow vehicle ties into the trailer 12V (or not)?
I don’t have easy access to my computer right now, but I’ll try later.

There’s a standard 7-pin connection. No isolated or dc-dc converter that I’ve found.

You may want to review this

Definitely going to do that today! Thank you!

I read through this, but I’m bot currently adding addition charging from the tow vehicle. The only changes I’m planning are to rewire the positive cables currently used by the converter/charger to instead go direct from battery to DC loads. The battery will be charged via a LiFePO4 charger plugged into grounded AC. Since I’ll be left with an unused chassis ground cable and negative cable from the converter/charger, I’m wondering if I need to worry about those at all. Will I need to ground the battery ti the chassis? Or is the connection to AC ground through the charger sufficient?

The DC loads will need to be connected to negative on battery, either via chassis or negative cable.

You also need to make sure there is an appropriate fuse between positive terminal and dc loads.

As FilterGuy said, a diagram is the best way for us to see what you have and what you plan.

Back