diy solar

diy solar

removing limescale from panels

pollenface

Solar Addict
I found this method for removing limescale from glass shower screens, maybe it will work with panels, I made the mistake of cleaning some of mine with tap water a few times

1. Boil a cup of white vinegar and transfer it to a bowl or spray bottle before allowing it to cool. This mixture will act as your shower glass limescale remover.
  2. Use durable rubber gloves to carry the solution to your shower.
  3. Dip some paper towels into the hot vinegar and adhere them to the glass door. The acid in the vinegar should soak into the limescale and loosen deposits.
  4. Wait 30 minutes to an hour to allow the vinegar to break down the limescale. Periodically spray your paper towels with the vinegar solution to ensure that the glass stays saturated.
  5. Apply an ample amount of baking soda to a damp cloth or sponge and gently wipe down the shower door. Make sure not to scrub too forcefully to avoid scratching the glass.
  6. Use distilled water to rinse the baking soda and vinegar from the shower door. If you can see any remaining limescale, continue to rub the baking soda onto the door until the last deposits have vanished.

That will work but as any pro window cleaner will tell you- vinegar is an acid and may etch glass. The baking soda neutralizes that a bit.

What's better, limescale or etched "polycarbonate" (not glass)

I do some output testing and share my results before and after cleaning... and in future I'll only clean with distilled water.

in future I'll only clean with distilled water.
Polycarbonate shouldn’t etch

A diluted acid will help with cleaning mineral water stains. On glass I wouldn’t leave it set for a half hour if it was me

Not for plastic. My panels are glass. I use Brillo Pads to remove lime scale from glass. No, they do not scratch glass.

Just about every panel datasheet has a section on care & maintenance and if not there, on the company websites that info is available. At most a light wash with dish soap, never any chemicals or hard detergents and most certainly nothing acidic (like Vinegar) which can etch the surface, especially if hot when applied. While it may not be visible to the naked eye it does happen and that creates more issues later.

ALWAYS Refer to Manufacturer Docs/Spec Sheets and do follow their instructions. Do not Guess or Assume things or take info given by others at face value (they may have no clue and babble like too many do).

FYI: Solar Panel Glass is not just any old simple glass either. Sadly far too many think that "Glass is Glass" well SORRY but there are a LOT of different kinds of glass. The Pyrex Glass measuring cups in your cupboard are NOT the same glass as your House Windows or Auto-Glass on your car ! Solar Glass is not the same either !

Back