diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 3000 watt Inverter install in bed of a 2022 Ford F350 diesel

mlbright

Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has installed a large inverter in the bed of their truck? I have a 2022 Ford F350 with a 6.7L diesel, dual batteries, and dual alternators at 397 amps. I already have a Renogy 3000-watt inverter I want to install in the bed to charge my Bluetti AC20MAX while driving. I also have some 2/0 marine wire, 30' of it, can anyone confirm this wire is big enough to power the 3000-watt inverter with an estimated max length of 20'? Or would it be better to get 2 additional batteries to install in the bed along with a DC to DC charger then run the inverter off of those as a house battery setup instead of the starter batteries? I'm only planning on running the inverter at a 50% load max and don't want to fry the truck alternators or system. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

What is the AC input power spec of Bluetti AC20MAX?
Does it have a DC charging port, and if so what spec?

Inputs are the following:
AC Adapter Input: 500W

Solar Input: 900W Max., VOC 10-145VDC, 15A

Car Input: 12/24V from Cigarette Lighter Port

Max Input: 1,400W, with AC+Solar Input

I also can run 2 of the AC inputs to be able to charge at 1000 watts with another adaptor from Bluetti.

Screenshot 2023-12-11 184245.png

The main reason I want to incorporate the Bluetti is that it has a 3-prong RV plug that I can use to power my race trailer while I put the main generator away when we are packing up. And I'll have a large Dometic fridge running in the bed while driving for beverages.

1,000 watts of inverter power = about 85 amps draw from the vehicle.

3,000 watts of inverter power = about 255 amps draw from the vehicle.

Depending on the 2/0 cable insulation rating it may be OK for up to 300 amps. You will need to check how bad the voltage drop is at full load.

You shouldn't fry the alternators with a setup running at 50%. If you don't know both alternators are not outputting power all the time. The PCM turns the 2nd alternator on if the primary alternator is maxxed out. Not really ideal in my opinion but that is how it works.

1,000 watts of inverter power = about 85 amps draw from the vehicle.

3,000 watts of inverter power = about 255 amps draw from the vehicle.

Depending on the 2/0 cable insulation rating it may be OK for up to 300 amps. You will need to check how bad the voltage drop is at full load.

You shouldn't fry the alternators with a setup running at 50%. If you don't know both alternators are not outputting power all the time. The PCM turns the 2nd alternator on if the primary alternator is maxxed out. Not really ideal in my opinion but that is how it works.
Awesome thank you for the response, the specs for the UL 142 marine wire are, 600 volts, 105°C dry, 75°C wet. From what I know the main alternator runs at 270 amps then the secondary kicks in the remaining 127 amps when needed. I was planning for a 3% voltage drop over a max 20' length.

Back