diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 3000w Charger/ Inverter Overloads on Shore Power

WVJohn

I installed a Renogy 3000w charger inverter in my RV. I added 500amp (total 700amp) and changed to Li batteries. When I first completed install in the spring was really excited because of the extra power and I ran some tests on warmer days and was able to run my 110v AC system full blast for about 5 or 6 hrs!

Fast forward to yesterday (haven't been able to go on any trips), I got in the rig and turned the AC on while on shore power and it repeatedly overloaded the Charger inverter while on shore power. No circuit breakers blew but the AC shutdown and the charger inverter had loud continuous beep which supposedly indicated overload. The AC was all that was on. Admittedly it was a pretty warm day but obviously I have to be able to run the AC no matter how hot it is on shore power!!

Any suggestions or ideas on how to troubleshoot??

Your inverter/charger doesn't understand how many amps it's allowed to pull from shore power. It's likely trying to charge the batteries and power the air conditioner at the same time. I had a friend with a Victron Multiplus with the same problem. We lowered the shore power setting and no more tripping.

I installed a Renogy 3000w charger inverter in my RV. I added 500amp (total 700amp) and changed to Li batteries. When I first completed install in the spring was really excited because of the extra power and I ran some tests on warmer days and was able to run my 110v AC system full blast for about 5 or 6 hrs!

Fast forward to yesterday (haven't been able to go on any trips), I got in the rig and turned the AC on while on shore power and it repeatedly overloaded the Charger inverter while on shore power. No circuit breakers blew but the AC shutdown and the charger inverter had loud continuous beep which supposedly indicated overload. The AC was all that was on. Admittedly it was a pretty warm day but obviously I have to be able to run the AC no matter how hot it is on shore power!!

Any suggestions or ideas on how to troubleshoot??
I'm having similar issues with my Renogy 2000w inverter charger. Unit is headed back to Renogy. Their tech service has not been helpful. One told me 121 incoming volts was out of spec. Unit works great when inverting and charging. On shore power it won't pass through 20 amps. It's supposed to have 30 amp transfer switch. Unit will actually run more amps on inverter than it will transfer on shore power and not charging batteries.

I'm having similar issues with my Renogy 2000w inverter charger. Unit is headed back to Renogy. Their tech service has not been helpful. One told me 121 incoming volts was out of spec. Unit works great when inverting and charging. On shore power it won't pass through 20 amps. It's supposed to have 30 amp transfer switch. Unit will actually run more amps on inverter than it will transfer on shore power and not charging batteries.
Please post a product link for you inverter charger.
Your problem description seems off.
The automatic transfer switch is just a relay.
If its not bypassing the rated amps but its bypassing any amps then the relay should be getting very hot.
Can you confirm that with an ir gun or similar?
Have you tried disabling charging to see if the inverter/charger will bypass more amps?

Renogy advertises a 30 amp transfer switch. However a small sticker on the side of of the inverter shows 16.7 amps. That is all the inverter is capable of pass thru amps when on 30 amp shore power. This has been confirmed by Renogy. It is unacceptable to me, to not be able to use a air conditioner and microwave or electric water heater when I'm plugged into a 30 amp shore power. Renogy techs were unable to diagnose my complaint and had me send unit back and replaced it. I noticed the sticker and asked Renogy about it. I have moved on and installed a Victron which works as advertised along with some other features Renogy doesn't offer.

Renogy advertises a 30 amp transfer switch. However a small sticker on the side of of the inverter shows 16.7 amps. That is all the inverter is capable of pass thru amps when on 30 amp shore power. This has been confirmed by Renogy. It is unacceptable to me, to not be able to use a air conditioner and microwave or electric water heater when I'm plugged into a 30 amp shore power. Renogy techs were unable to diagnose my complaint and had me send unit back and replaced it. I noticed the sticker and asked Renogy about it. I have moved on and installed a Victron which works as advertised along with some other features Renogy doesn't offer.
I have been afraid of this for sure ! What model Victron do you have and what features are you talking about that renogy doesn't do?

Back