diy solar

diy solar

REnogy 3000W inverter red light

ahelwig

Im going on an off grid campint trip on Wed for two weeks. Over the last month and a half I have been outfitting my truck for this trip. Part of what I built was a solar generator using solar panels, a solar charger, a 230 AH battery and this 3000W inverter. All this is pretty much to power two dorm friges that say they use 206 KWH per year (only .6 per day) so that's 412 KWH or 1.2 per day for the both of them. Ive already tested the solar panles, charger, and battery. I can drain them and recharge them as expected. I wanted to test the renogy inverter and battery this weekend. So I pulled my truck in the garage so it would have no sun so I could find out how long the battery would last without a charge running the inverter running the two fridges. After running Fri and Sat it had been about 48 hours and the battery said it was only 30% used so I still have 70% left. I thought that was great. I know that would give me plenty of cloudy days. Everything seemed great. However on Sunday I got back from a day trip (truck still in the garage) and there was an alarm going off. The inverter had the red light on and sounding an alarm. I wouldn't think these small fridges would overload the inverter. I even got one bigger than I needed in case on another trip I might want to cook with it. I live in a mild climate so it wasn't hot in my truck. Maybe 55 degrees. Ther is room for air movement...
Any thoughts? Im leaving in two days and am panicking.

Could be over temperature. 55c is getting up there. What does the manual say?

I have hard-wired fans on my inverters for constant air movement. It makes a noticeable difference.

Last edited:
If you ran for about 3 days at 1200 watts per day that would run your battery down below minimum voltage. Check your battery voltage.

The good news is you ran about 3 days with no sun. If you are not using a shunt-based battery monitor, you'll have to be more careful with watts in and watts out. At the start of your trip, plug the refrigerators into home AC, load them up and let them cool down overnight.

Last edited:
55 degrees is chilly. I do have a shunt base battery monitor and it says I still have 75% battery left

Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery voltage against the monitor? Did the monitor manual have anything about calibration? And you can also check the connection between the battery and inverter. What gauge wire between the battery and inverter? I have a Renogy 700 watt inverter, but I've never had a fault alarm (yet).

Input voltage is below 10V. Keep input voltage above 10V.
Input voltage is above 16.5V. Keep input voltage below 16.5V.
Inverter overheats Allow inverter to cool down. Check for adequate ventilation. Reduce the load on the inverter.

Operating equipment draws too much power Use a higher wattage inverter or use a lower powered device.

Inverter is short circuited Disconnect the inverter and turn off the ON/OFF Switch to reset.

Last edited:
I'm running the renogy 3000 in my camper. Only alarm I've ever got was low voltage. When the inverter faults out and shuts down the battery voltage will come back up some maybe confusing your shunt. If I charge my batteries with an AC charger, my SCC will say the batteries are at 100% when they are actually only half charged.

Back