diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 40A MPPT Controller Setting for 210ah Lifeline AGM

rawtoxic

Yay! With everyone's help I was able to get my system upgrade done and up and running. I definitely dont understand everything but was able to put everything together successfully and have majorly improved my incoming electricity!

I am using an existing Lifeline 210 AH AGM model # GPL-4DL (battery likely 3-4 years old) with Renogy 40A Rover MPPT powered by 600W on Renogy 100w panels.
I don't have the manual from the battery since the PO of my RV did not save it. I have been able to find most battery settings on Lifeline's site but a few I'm unsure about. Attached is screen shots of the custom 'user' settings I have done on the Renogy controller.

One thing I really want to confirm is the equalization settings. I heard not to use them for AGM batteries but then I read I should do equalization here on Lifeline page. https://lifelinebatteries.com/blog/can-i-equalize-agm-batteries/ Can someone explain this more and I also don't understand if I manually start an equalization or does it happen automatically?

Other specific settings I have no guidance from Lifeline on are.
1) High Volt Disconnect
2) Charge Limit Voltage
3) Over Disc. Return Volt
4) Low Voltage Alarm
5) Over Discharge Voltage
6) Discharge Limit Voltage
7) Over Discharge Delay Time
8) Equalize Charge Time Interval
9) Temperate Compensation mppt1.jpegmppt2.jpeg

That page is all in the context of batteries that may be sulfated due to regular failure to fully charge them. They also give good criterion:

"A sulfated battery will be “finished” charging, yet only have an OCV of 12.2-12.5 volts. This is a good indication that the batteries need to be equalized." - this means that if you fully charge one according to your boost/float voltage, remove it from all loads and chargers for 24 hours, a battery that needs equalization will have an open circuit voltage (resting) of 12.2-12.5V.

Some AGM are equalization tolerant. In any case, I would shoot for the low end of the recommended range and monitor it closely. Another parameter I didn't see mentioned is temperature. If the battery exceeds 100°F, terminate charging. Allow it to completely cool and resume another equalization the following day.

Something mentioned that is very critical - make sure the battery is fully charged via a normal charge before conducting an equalization charge. If you take a battery at a lower state of charge and drive it to equalization voltages at higher current, you will damage it.

1-7: doesn't matter. Those are pertaining to load port functions.
8: linked page says 6-8 hours.
9: Lifeline should provide that for your model of battery. For flooded, it tends to be -5mV/cell/°C. AGM may be as low as -2mV/cell/°C. Lifeline should provide guidance either for the specific model or a general battery maintenance document/specification.

Renogy equilisation is automatically every month or as set. Unless your battery is showing signs of being sulfated I suggest lowering equilisation volts to the boost value and effectively eliminate equilisation.
Not discussed are settings for boost duration and equilisation duration. The default value is 2 hours, this may need increasing for boost duration.
AGM batteries can be difficult to bring to full charge with a solar charging system, as the absorbtion time may not be long enough, you run out of sun. You may need to adjust the boost period. A useful indicator of a full charged battery is when the charge current falls below 1 amp per 100 Ah at the absorbtion voltage, boost voltage.( this assumes adequate solar power).

Renogy settings that determine charging,
Boost volts and boost duration
Equilisation volts and duration
Bost return volts
Float volts
Temperature compensation

1-7: doesn't matter. Those are pertaining to load port functions.

1. High voltage disconnect

Where did you gather this is for the load port?

The default setting on the Renogy is 17.0v (12v system).

I ask because my Renogy Rover 30A is set for the USER mode, which I programmed for my lifepo4. However the HVD value is invisible to the consumer unless they have the Bluetooth dongle AND use the older app called Renogy BT. I my brand new lifepo4 BMS wig out recently (voltage was moving from 12.8 to 14.0 every couple of seconds like a Mexican jumping bean) and the charge MOSFET was off and an over voltage warning was shown on the BMS app. I assume this was due to the high voltage disconnect that was set on the Rover to 17.0v. I couldn’t see this setting nor the history until getting the Bluetooth dongle and app. The history shows that over 6 weeks, the voltage rose to 16 to 18v many times.

But you’re telling me this isn’t a battery setting but for the load port? That would be welcome news if so.

So far, Renogy support has told me no such thing.

Thanks I think I understand a little better now. I'm not using load feature off the SCC so those would be irrelevant. Tom Thumb is saying #1 HVD should be addressed but what would be the recommended setting for that feature? When I search the Lifeline docs I don't see much in regards.

Tomthumb I have also noticed the older Renogy BT app has the most user controls. Also a little buggy it's funny you can tell they ported the app from Chinese because I had some Chinese pop-up windows and you can tell the English is not native in places. I think for day to day use I will be using the nicer Renogy app and use the older Renogy BT app for programming.

I found the 'equalization charge time' of the 6-8 hours on Lifeline Docs (max setting on Renogy is 300 minutes - 5 hr) but I thought equalization charge interval is a different setting I'm guessing it is days not hours as default value is 30? I am going to give my battery a rest test after today but I maybe close to 12.5 volts after 24 hour rest. With our previous under powered solar system we did not always get the battery fully recharged between cycles while out exploring the US usually. We never stay in campgrounds and usually travel 5-10 day trips moving daily or every other day so most our charging was done with the alternator. When I get home I usually charge shore power 2 days to get everything topped off and let solar maintain. From my understanding with this usage we could have a sulfated battery issue

There is no max. temp setting for battery equalization. I am wondering if the best way to do equalization is manually on a day I'm around and can watch things? Would I just program the cycle for 1 day interval and wait for it to start ? Or is there a better way to perform equalization manually?

I will increase my boost time to 3 hours if that is what is recommended. I am not sure how I can tell what 'charge mode' my controller is in?

Also I found Temperate Compensation in the Lifeline manual as "The recommended linear coefficient for Lifeline Batteries is 0.0022V/cell per degree F. (0.013v/degree F for a 12V battery). How do I convert that into the value my app uses mv/c/2v?

Thanks again everyone for the input I think I am getting more confident each day.

The controller is made by SRNE Solar, get their app, SRNE utilities, use the caps in the search...

Tom Thumb is saying #1 HVD should be addressed but what would be the recommended setting for that feature?

Set it to 14.6v or 14.4v is fine too since the Rovers tend to be off by as much as 0.2v.

As for equalization, I personally wouldn’t set it for AGM. Doing so can boil the electrolyte and since these are sealed batteries you can’t replace what gets boiled off like you can for flooded lead acid. Equalization is required for flooded lead acid batteries, which have removable caps to test and replace the electrolyte fluid.

For AGM, you can set the equalization for 14.6v or lower and time frame doesn’t matter.

OK I've made the suggested changes and have the SRNE app which is much better. Great suggestion.

I am still needing help with calc for Temperate Compensation in the Lifeline manual as "The recommended linear coefficient for Lifeline Batteries is 0.0022V/cell per degree F. (0.013v/degree F for a 12V battery). How do I convert that into the value my programming app uses mv/c/2v?

Here is the screen shots of settings let me know if I should do more adjusting.... I feel like I maybe missing something other than temp compensation.

latest1.jpeglastest.jpeg

the SRNE app which is much better. Great suggestion.

Thanks for this tip. Yes it’s a much better app and one I trust more than the Renogy one. SRNE makes charge controllers for Renogy and others and it’s awesome they make their own app available to other brands.

This EQ and solar-controller thing for agm's is always a confusion really because the nomenclature controller manufacturers use for it is totally wrong. And it usually gets disabled by the confusion.

Sure enough, EQ for agm's is verboten, except for *some* brands. However, EQ is a lead-acid holdover that takes like 8 hours or MORE to do right at HIGH voltages. Lifeline allows it, but you had better be experienced, and we're not talking about listening to Jimi Hendrix while doing it. :)

In solar controllers, what *they* call EQ if seen in an AGM setting is a minor rise of CV by about 0.2V above the set limit, and time-limited to no more than two hours. So it is NOT AN EQ as we know it.

What they do is say *tickle* it once every 30 days. If your CV is set for 14.6v, then once a month is will -slightly- raise the CV to 14.8v for no more than 2 hours.

This slight overcharge is an attempt by the controller manufacturers who know that under most circumstances, solar is not enough for lead-acid agm's, not even daily really, and do this controlled overcharge to stave off sulfation. The consumer doesn't know that to *properly* recharge an agm, it takes MORE than 8-12 hours to do so, which is usually longer than sun is available for most to complete the absorb stage, nevermind bulk just getting there.

Unfortunately, most disable this helpful feature by associating this minor controlled overcharge to the old-timey wet-lead 8 hour high-voltage EQ at 15v because the controller manufacturers don't explain. The other problem is that for those who START with bad quality batteries found next to the dumpster, and have this enabled blame the EQ setting in the controller when the trash agm blows it's top. Or a 2kw bank made of old unbalanced UPS 5ah cells in series / parallel. :)

Those lifelines are pure-leads I believe. Check the manual, you may be able to hit them up at 0.5C with no problem, so getting them charged faster with more panel is possible - and the faster they get into absorb, the longer they last. Something to think about - you paid for pure-lead, so you may want to take advantage of the ability to fast charge at .5C or higher with more panel.

The no-eq for AGM one of those things that will always be with us unfortunately due to controller manufacturers confusing the people...

Last edited:
Back