diy solar

diy solar

renogy 40a mppt charge controller shuts down when it reaches boost voltage

Boy am I glad to see these posts. My new Renogy 30A controller was freaking me out when it shot up to over 15v then disconnected the load and started over again and again.
I tried 2 other good LFP batteries that did the same thing, I was scared my new Renogy 100AH was defective.
Researching this problem I found other messages referring to the over-voltage issue and the common fix was to use User mode and reduce the voltage settings. I'd rather have my battery working properly at 99% charge than get it beat up by bad Renogy controller settings.
For now I leave my User settings at 13.8v which has been reliable. If I set it over 14v then at times with little load and good sun it will still occasionally trip the over-voltage.
Strange that it can sit (float) at 14.4v for awhile but it doesn't take much to send the controller into the over-voltage/reboot cycle. I was very upset to see the default High Voltage Disconnect was 16v...when even 15v could damage a lot of electronic gear.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230902_225717_Renogy BT.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_225717_Renogy BT.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 4
Boy am I glad to see these posts. My new Renogy 30A controller was freaking me out when it shot up to over 15v then disconnected the load and started over again and again.
I tried 2 other good LFP batteries that did the same thing, I was scared my new Renogy 100AH was defective.
Researching this problem I found other messages referring to the over-voltage issue and the common fix was to use User mode and reduce the voltage settings. I'd rather have my battery working properly at 99% charge than get it beat up by bad Renogy controller settings.
For now I leave my User settings at 13.8v which has been reliable. If I set it over 14v then at times with little load and good sun it will still occasionally trip the over-voltage.
Strange that it can sit (float) at 14.4v for awhile but it doesn't take much to send the controller into the over-voltage/reboot cycle. I was very upset to see the default High Voltage Disconnect was 16v...when even 15v could damage a lot of electronic gear.

Note: these settings are ONLY available if you have the Bluetooth dongle and use the older app, Renogy BT.

I’m in communication with Renogy as we speak. The Rover, in USER mode, will spike up to 18v. Some of these reach the battery and cause the BMS to go into protection, cutting off charging. The FETS that control protection of charging and discharging only have so many times they can do it before they fail. They’re not designed to do this daily. Which is what was happening until I changed a setting. A setting that was hidden from view until I got the Bluetooth dongle only recently.

Note: these settings are ONLY available if you have the Bluetooth dongle and use the older app, Renogy BT.

I’m in communication with Renogy as we speak. The Rover, in USER mode, will spike up to 18v. Some of these reach the battery and cause the BMS to go into protection, cutting off charging. The FETS that control protection of charging and discharging only have so many times they can do it before they fail. They’re not designed to do this daily. Which is what was happening until I changed a setting. A setting that was hidden from view until I got the Bluetooth dongle only recently.
Thanks for your note. I use the BT-1 with the old app sometimes, but I have a third-party Wifi module that uses the RS232 port that is much better. However, I do like the DC-Home app since my LFP battery is Renogy 100AH with Bluetooth that integrates nicely with the Controller on DC-Home.

Back