diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 50A DC-DC charger-controller

Sadie04074

I have a Renogy 50A DC-DC charger-controller. The unit will take a maximum of 25A of PV and 25A of alternator charge simultaneously. As I understand it, I am stuck with only 25A of solar even if I am not connected to the truck's alternator.
My question is: is it possible to not connect to the alternator and connect a second set of solar panels to the alternator terminals on the Renogy 50ADC-DC unit thus giving the system 50A solar capacity?

According to the manual you get 50A charging with either solar only or alternator only. This makes sense because the maximum solar input power is 660 watts, or 50A at 13.2v.

The voltage range for the alternator input is 13.2-16v, so it would probably not work without some kind voltage converter between the panels and the alternator input, it would probably be better to just get another solar charge controller.

Reed, thanks for the input. I re-read the manual and I now understand what you are saying. The 25 (blank) applies to voltage, not amperage. There is a 25A limitation when charging the "starting battery" from the PV panels. It all makes sense now. Thanks!

According to the manual you get 50A charging with either solar only or alternator only. This makes sense because the maximum solar input power is 660 watts, or 50A at 13.2v.

The voltage range for the alternator input is 13.2-16v, so it would probably not work without some kind voltage converter between the panels and the alternator input, it would probably be better to just get another solar charge controller.
Reed, Is there anyway to substitute a converter connection in place of the alternator?

Hi,
I am wondering about the wiring here from alternator to my trailer?
Is this working? Or do I need a big wire ?
How to calculate the diameter in that case?

Thanks

I stil facing the issue that I am unsure how to plug the trailer on to be loaded via alternator with DC DC . Which options are available? 7 pin plug or own new wire?

I stil facing the issue that I am unsure how to plug the trailer on to be loaded via alternator with DC DC . Which options are available? 7 pin plug or own new wire?
I am running a 4 AWG wire from the truck battery + and - to the Trailer. It I know of someone who went with the 4 AWG and it purportedly works fine. It is my understanding that the 7 pin connector on a pickup is way too undersized and under powered. Not sure of the site protocols, but here is a video of an instillation.
(280) Alternator Charging Mod + 12 VDC (High Amp) Truck Bed Power Port - YouTube

I have a question regarding the ignition wire required for smart alternators.
Renogy simply states "connect to ignition curcuit"
Where exactly do I connect this wire on the vehicle?
The ignition switch?
The fuse box?
Or diectly to the alternator?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Renogy simply states "connect to ignition curcuit"
Where exactly do I connect this wire on the vehicle?
What vehicle?
I recently tracked one down on a Ram Promaster. Turns out there was an IGN terminal and a 70amp fused connector behind the passenger seat. I grabbed power for a Victron Orion off the 70amp line and bought connectors for the IGN terminal.

Turns out the Smart part about the Victron Orion worker REALLY well and i never used the IGN terminal. But i have the connector and ran a wire back to the Orion just in case.

Thanks for the response Mr. Sandals

I'm in a 2005 Ford E150

MisterSandals said "Turns out there was an IGN terminal and a 70amp fused connector behind the passenger seat."

Sounds like I should be looking at the fuse box.
On the Renogy 50amp dc-dc/mppt charger, the alternator light doesn't come on when the vehicle is running. So, I figure it needs a signal. I wouldn't know the difference between a smart or dumb alternator. But as is, the alternator isn't charging the house batteries. Only pv.
I can't figure out from the Ford manual where exactly I should connect the signal wire from the charger.

You can also get the ign signal from things that are powered only when the ignition is on like cigarette lighters, courtesy lights, license plate illuminators, ...

Folks that install trailer wiring may be a good source. I think the brown wire might be for lights which are supposed to be on all the time. Maybe equivalent to ign?

A little prodding around with a volt meter in the wiring might be necessary but it’s an easy test for 12v.

And, I heartily recommend the Victron Orion Smart units.

Thanks agai Mr. Sandals

I was thinking along the same lines. The ignition wire just needs to 12-15 volt to signal the charger the engine is running. So, any curcuit that activates at ignition should do the trick.
Just needed a little confirmation before I started poking around.

I've already made up my mind, for my next build it will be all Victron all the time.
For now it's Renogy.

Cheers
DJ

The ignition wire just needs to 12-15 volt to signal the charger the engine is running.
If you got desperate, you could even use the source power (input to DC-DC) with a manual switch on it to turn it on and off. I'd want a visible light to remind me to turn it off. This might be a temporary solution too until you find an actual IGN wire.

Back