diy solar

diy solar

Renogy BT-1 Range and Remote Monitoring

gdawg

Last year I installed a two panel system with the Renogy Wanderer and 2000W inverter, coupled with two 12V AGM batteries. I have it in my shed and use it to charge my electric mower batteries, and sometimes a radio or tools. It has more than exceeded my expectations so far. However, I don't have a way to check the status of the system without going out to my shed, which is about 70-80 feet from the back of my house.

Enter the Renogy BT-1 and companion web app. I plugged in the into the RJ-12 adapter on the controller, and away I went. It worked and immediately gave me some data to look at on the health of the system. However, when I go back in the house, I lose signal pretty quickly. I thought I might be able to sneak by with enough range via bluetooth, but apparently not.

My questions are: 1) has anyone successfully added a BT signal booster/repeater? If so, who makes a decent, affordable product? 2) If a BT remote isn't going to have the range I need, then what does everyone recommend in terms of low cost Wifi system that is compatible with the Renogy Wanderer controller and inverter combo? I see a lot of info on Youtube, but not everything will work with the controller I have (i.e Solar Assistant).

Let me know your thoughts, as always, thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited:
I will be following this thread. I get 50 feet from inside my house back to the trailer with my BT-1. Since I have a connection, I don't need a booster but if something fits the bill, I'm game.

I have (had) a similar problem, Bluetooth range....

In the end, and to avoid any soldering I went this route: https://github.com/Olen/solar-monitor

A RaspberryPi, a basic install - a few 'copy and paste' scripts, and now I have data in my home assistant instance.

Seemed the simplest route all things considered - hope this give you some options :)

Back