diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DC-DC with MPPT and a trailer?

precisionpete

I am thinking of using the Renogy DC-DC with MPPT with a trailer. I want to charge the trailer battery while driving. And will want to add solar in the future. I know it's really good with a Van. But how will it deal with the power coming through the 7 pin connector? The tow rig is a 2013 Porsche Cayenne with the factory tow option. Same as a VW Touareg I suspect.

I would prefer the 50A version but am concerned with overloading the factory electronics. Would the 30A version be a safer bet? I believe the car does not have a smart alternator.

Thoughts?

What is the power rating of the 7 pin? Can't think that it will handle 30 amps much less then 50 amps

You're going to need to run a much heavier wire and connector. The wires on a 7 pin aren't going to handle 30a. Best bet will probably be an Anderson connector on each end and a nice heavy 8 or 6 guage wire.

A 50 amp output of a DC-DC charger is going to require higher input amps. You could be looking at 60+ amps from the alternator. You have to take into account the higher amps when buying cable.

I would use separate components rather that a combined DC-DC/MPPT. That Renogy unit has too many limitations.

Back