diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DCC50S dc to dc charger

Andreas

I am considering buying one of these to replace a Sterling 1260 dc to dc charger in my Sprinter based RV (Forest River 2401R Forester). It is at a good price point but should i be concerned about the 25v limit on the solar panel power?

I would like to get 400w at 12v from future solar panels. I have room for 2 panels. What do you suggest I get that will work with the Renogy DCC50S?

Thanks for any help.

I am considering buying one of these to replace a Sterling 1260 dc to dc charger in my Sprinter based RV (Forest River 2401R Forester). It is at a good price point but should i be concerned about the 25v limit on the solar panel power?

I would like to get 400w at 12v from future solar panels. I have room for 2 panels. What do you suggest I get that will work with the Renogy DCC50S?

Thanks for any help.

For what reason are you thinking of replacing the sterling charger?

The DCC50S should will be fine with 400W, but all panels will have to be in parallel, and you won't really have room to grow the system if you decide to later. But for a small system it may be a good option.

Any panel with an 'Open Circuit Voltage (Voc)' of about 22v or less should be fine. They will usually be marketed as "12 volt" panels and usually in the 50-200W range.

For what reason are you thinking of replacing the sterling charger?

The DCC50S should will be fine with 400W, but all panels will have to be in parallel, and you won't really have room to grow the system if you decide to later. But for a small system it may be a good option.

Any panel with an 'Open Circuit Voltage (Voc)' of about 22v or less should be fine. They will usually be marketed as "12 volt" panels and usually in the 50-200W range.
Thanks. I didn't see a need for the Sterling 1260 AND the mppt. If I can eliminate the Sterling, I can sell it or maybe install it in my smaller sprinter Winnebago ERA. I just installed a lithium battery in it. I just wanted to be sure it would work.

I have very limited room on the motor home. Thought this would be a cheap and simple way to get some solar.

Thanks. I didn't see a need for the Sterling 1260 AND the mppt. If I can eliminate the Sterling, I can sell it or maybe install it in my smaller sprinter Winnebago ERA. I just installed a lithium battery in it. I just wanted to be sure it would work.

I have very limited room on the motor home. Thought this would be a cheap and simple way to get some solar.

Well my reason for asking is that it would be cheaper and easier still, just to add an mppt controller to your existing setup, if your alternator charging needs are already met.

Nothing wrong with switching over to the DCC50S, but if you just want to add solar capabilities, it would probably be cheaper and easier to just add an MPPT charge controller (with the added bonus that it would be more flexible and more capable). But if an all-in-one solution is important to you the DCC50S is not a bad choice, especially if you have another use for the Sterling.

Am planning to put one of these in a 2019 Toyota Sienna. The wire length from the starter battery to the DCC50S will be roughly 14 or 15 feet. Would 4 gauge welding cable be suitable?

The Blue sea wizard suggests 3AWG for 30' of wire. Don't forget to add both sides of the run. Also, if your long run is on the input side, don't forget that the DCC50S can pull 60 amps to output 50 amps into the battery. Also, if you are running the wire paired in a loom of some sort that is a little more heat. So, going with 2 AWG is a much better choice than 4. That is what I did and I have a shorter run.

diy solar

diy solar
Back