diy solar

diy solar

DC DC Charger for 100amp alternator

MarcMassanari

I have bought the Renogy DC DC Dual MPPT charger. I now understand its limits. Mainly cannot take more than 25v from solar. No big deal, I will rewire my panels so to yield 20v instead of 40v. BUT, what about charger from engine? My engine has a 100amp alternator. Most DC DC charger limits charger input to less than 1000w. What should I do??

Not sure what the other alternator loads are but the DC-DC charger can pull 50% more than the output rating. I recommend 10 amps output and possibly 20 amps depending on load and use.

My engine has a 100amp alternator.
At idle speed the output will be , at best, 70 amps. Since the DCC50 50 amp output will take , say 60 amps from the vehicle, its probable the alternator will be overloaded.
Options are to replace with a DCC30, or add additional DC to DC charger for the alternator charging, a 20 or 30 amp unit.

Mike

Last edited:
DC-DC charger can pull 50% more than the output rating
Seems on the high side for most installations, however, low alternator output and/or less than ideal cables, breakers, fuses, interconnections, could reduce the DC to DC input volts, thus requiring more current. Experience suggests that the DC to DC charger would ramp down the output in this situation to protect itself from overheating.

Mike

Sterling dc-dc chargers are rated by how much current they draw, rather than output. So their 30A model outputs ~22A. If changing equipment is feasible

a Renogy. I only see one with MPPT.

Renogy also have DC to DC without MPPT, 20, 40 and 60 amp versions,

Back