diy solar

diy solar

Replacing FANS inside the EG4 6500EX-48 to make it quiet

z_zk_z

Has anyone looked into replacing the two fans (DA09225B12VH DC12V 1.05Amp) inside the EG4 6500EX-48 inverter to make it quiet? It seems, they are using 4-pin PWM type fans (see attached photo) and I could replace them with Noctua quiet fans but Noctua fans draw little power compared to the fans inside the inverter drawing 12 watts each (12V*1.05A). Does anyone have the data sheet for the DA09225B12VH fans?20220717_203940.jpg

typically the fans are noisy because they are high static pressure fans, ie there is a lot of sh*t blocking the air flow between the bottom of the inverter and the vents, so it needs a high static pressure to push the air past all that stuff and cool the components.

all high static pressure fans are noisy because physics.

Thats a lot shorter of an explanation than i was coming up with, but same basic idea.. I think PC cases actually have it kinda easy because as theyre intended to be so modular and serviceable, they’re not as cramped/dense as the inside of a solar inverter. Also, if you think about the enclosures as a 6 sided box, a pc case usually only has 2 sides completely impermeable to airflow, maybe 3. The inverters ive seen has a lot less ‘throughput’ capability in terms of holes in the case, and the cooling job is done by a smaller number of smaller diameter fans, which means those little fans have a heck of a job to do.

But i would say its not terribly risky to experiment with since i assume any decent inverter has overheat protection and will tell its internal temperature through the screen right on the front.

Very curious if you try this as the fans are obnoxious. I assumed they were just low quality. I just tried turning them a few days ago and even without any load they came on strong.

Has anyone looked into replacing the two fans (DA09225B12VH DC12V 1.05Amp) inside the EG4 6500EX-48 inverter to make it quiet? It seems, they are using 4-pin PWM type fans (see attached photo) and I could replace them with Noctua quiet fans but Noctua fans draw little power compared to the fans inside the inverter drawing 12 watts each (12V*1.05A). Does anyone have the data sheet for the DA09225B12VH fans?View attachment 103025
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing. The stock ones are low quality and loud. All about the Noctua fans! Haven't taken the inverter apart to figure out what would work, but please let us know if you try it!

This should get you close to a data sheet for those fans:

In looking at the Noctua specs all their 92mm 12 volt PWM fans have at least double the static pressure (2.x for most of the Noctua line vs 0.7 for the OE fan)
The Noctua does fall short on air flow.
78 m3/hour vs 3 m3/minute.
Not sure I believe the OE fan's air flow spec...

I'd still try out the Noctua fans in the noise is bothering you, just monitor temps and see if things get toasty inside the inverter.

Did anyone go ahead and try this? I just installed these and they are way too loud and I need to do something about it. If no one has done it but anyone wants to share what fans you were thinking of using to start me off, I'm willing to be the guinea pig because the noise is very much unbearable.

Oooh I like how little noise it makes in the video. I checked and the one for the 6500ex is likely the NF-A9, but it has less than half the CFM of the stock fan, and they're like $20 each on most sites.

I'm concerned about the temps getting too high and how the warranty will be affected with such a drastic reduction in airflow. I might just install an AC in this room to compensate the reduced airflow with colder air.

Was going to start a thread on this, but this one is close enough to my concerns.

Anyone else with updates or tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

I am tearing my hair out on how to ensure as silent a system as possible for our cabin, and I really, really would prefer to use the Eg4 3k All In One for it's simplicity in setup with their rack batteries, but the fan noise is an absolute deal breaker. I would be open to buying the Eg4 3k and replacing the fans with Noctua if such a swap is feasible, but would love to see if others have done this before making the investment.

If you want silent you are going to have to look at another system. There is no hard requirement for any of those server rack batteries to have communication with the rest of your system if that is what you mean by "simplicity in setup".

If you want silent you are going to have to look at another system. There is no hard requirement for any of those server rack batteries to have communication with the rest of your system if that is what you mean by "simplicity in setup".
I am likely heading in that direction, though I've heard enough issues with other noise (high frequency ringing) even on Victron fan-less charge controllers, that noise concerns seem to be among the hardest to find any reliable data on before trying equipment first hand.

I am likely heading in that direction, though I've heard enough issues with other noise (high frequency ringing) even on Victron fan-less charge controllers, that noise concerns seem to be among the hardest to find any reliable data on before trying equipment first hand.
I do have four SmartSolar charge controllers (3 different models) and all of them are dead silent.

I am tearing my hair out on how to ensure as silent a system as possible for our cabin...
The Noctua fans are relatively quiet, but more importantly have a very pleasing sound. In my office-bedroom-doghouse my gateway drug system is all 12V, and the Noctua fan is always on for both air circulation and white noise. Ears are 6ft away from the fan. Can’t sleep without it.

EDIT: the Noctua NF-P14s "silent" fan with the sawtooth blade has the pleasing sound.

Attachments

• Case Fan.JPG
    Case Fan.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Noctua fan.jpg
    Noctua fan.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
typically the fans are noisy because they are high static pressure fans, ie there is a lot of sh*t blocking the air flow between the bottom of the inverter and the vents, so it needs a high static pressure to push the air past all that stuff and cool the components.

all high static pressure fans are noisy because physics.
So the fans are on the bottom pushing. Why not put them on the top and pull the air through...much more efficient in cooling?

Was going to start a thread on this, but this one is close enough to my concerns.

Anyone else with updates or tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

I am tearing my hair out on how to ensure as silent a system as possible for our cabin, and I really, really would prefer to use the Eg4 3k All In One for it's simplicity in setup with their rack batteries, but the fan noise is an absolute deal breaker. I would be open to buying the Eg4 3k and replacing the fans with Noctua if such a swap is feasible, but would love to see if others have done this before making the investment.
The fans on the 3K are positioned differently and not quite as loud.

I do have four SmartSolar charge controllers (3 different models) and all of them are dead silent.
Most of the problems I’ve heard about seem to be with the 150’s.

Still, there’s a lot of electronics noise above 14-16khz that anyone over 40 will be oblivious to, but would drive my daughter nuts. It’s those upper frequency noises that most adults can’t hear that concern me the most.

The fans on the 3K are positioned differently and not quite as loud.
"not quite as loud." Can you guys publish the actual DB readings for your products perhaps? If you don't have a DB meter your phone probably has a app but a decent DB meter would be the best option.

Back