diy solar

diy solar

replacing solar panels

jmzorko

Hello, all ...

I've an array of 10 Hyundai HiS-M300TI panels that I bought used. While 5 of them work well, 2 are only so-so and 3 are definitely underperforming. I have no shade issues, so I think it's the panels themselves. Anyway, I want to replace the worst of them, and if I can DIY, even better. Once I turn off the PV on my inverter (Sol-Ark 8k), what else do I need to do in order to do this safely? Should there be another DC disconnect on the roof (I had a contractor install this array so I don't know), and if so, once I shut that one off as well, will it be safe to remove and replace panels? They have Tigo optimizers on them, so I know that I have to remove the optimizer from the old panels and attach it to the new ones.

Also, I want to be safe up there, so where can I find those harnesses / straps to stop me from falling off should I slip, and what exactly do I attach it to up there?

Regards,

John

Attachments

• badpanels.png
    badpanels.png
    552.6 KB · Views: 4
If this was my system, I would swap optimizers with one performing well, it's highly likely you have optimizer issues, not panel issues, they are far from perfect performers.

I've built a few systems, never once used straps or harnesses, but roofs in Florida are only 25-28 degrees of tilt.

If this was my system, I would swap optimizers with one performing well, it's highly likely you have optimizer issues, not panel issues, they are far from perfect performers.

I've built a few systems, never once used straps or harnesses, but roofs in Florida are only 25-28 degrees of tilt.

OK, i'll try that first. My original question still remains, though - how do I safely remove / replace the panels, since i'll still need to do this in order to switch the optimizer with one from another panel (i.e. swap the optimizers between A8 and A10)?

Regards,

John

This is a loaded question as we do not know your setup. Each is special. Lets assume the worst. You need to completly de-energize your inverter. That would only put voltage on the PV strings, no current. At that point you can disconnect the panels from the optimizers or just disconnect the entire string. DO NOT ALLOW ANYTHING TO TOUCH ANTHING ELSE. Make big spark/boom. Use wire nuts or insulation if you have bare wires.
Then you can unbolt and swap out panels.... I'm assuming you have the same size? hahaha, they are all different sizes.

This is a loaded question as we do not know your setup. Each is special. Lets assume the worst. You need to completly de-energize your inverter. That would only put voltage on the PV strings, no current. At that point you can disconnect the panels from the optimizers or just disconnect the entire string. DO NOT ALLOW ANYTHING TO TOUCH ANTHING ELSE. Make big spark/boom. Use wire nuts or insulation if you have bare wires.
Then you can unbolt and swap out panels.... I'm assuming you have the same size? hahaha, they are all different sizes.

Is turning the PV Disconnect switch on my Sol-Ark 8k inverter to the Disconnected position enough, or should I power off the Sol-Ark entirely before swapping the Tigos between the A8 and A10 panels?

Update: It looks like the Tigos are ok. A few of the panels had significant cracks, 2 or 3 quite significant. The Tigo reporting the lowest watt / hours generated (A8) was attached to the panel with the most damage.

I would encourage you to pull the cracked panels off the roof, they would appear to be a strong candidate as a fire hazard.

Yes, we brought them all down since fully 50% of them were significantly cracked. We started putting the new ones up, only to realize that the railing isn't quite long enough, since the new panels are about 3" wider than the old. So, we need to add a bit to the railing before we can continue.

Back