diy solar

diy solar

Repurpose Old Astronergy Panels - Help!

BigSur

Been reading this forum for a while and excited to finally get started with a project of my own!

I may have the opportunity to pickup some used 10-year old 180w panels by Astronergy. I only have a blurry JPEG to go off, but it looks like model CHSM6612M, 34.39v, and 8.73a.

Use Case:
- Building a new 16x12 shed and would like some powered gable fans and LED lighting.
- Possible motion activated LED flood lights.
- Likely some Raspberry Pi's for tinkering
- Thinking of using 12V 100 amp/hr sealed lead acid battery for storage.
- Northeast US

Some questions:
- Assuming they aren't damaged, are 10 year old panels worth it?
- Would a 20A PWM Solar Charge Controller work or should I look at a larger MPPT controller with 150Voc/40a?
- Would 1 of these panels be sufficient or would I need to string 2 together?

Although this spec sheet is for the same part number, it shows a 340w panel, which these are definitely not: http://astronergy.com/attch/download/STAR_CHSM6612M_40mm frame_201801.pdf

Thanks for any recommendations!

Welcome to the forum.

Been reading this forum for a while and excited to finally get started with a project of my own!

I may have the opportunity to pickup some used 10-year old 180w panels by Astronergy. I only have a blurry JPEG to go off, but it looks like model CHSM6612M, 34.39v, and 8.73a.

Vmp & Imp? 300W panels?

Use Case:
- Building a new 16x12 shed and would like some powered gable fans and LED lighting.
- Northeast US

Some questions:

They are likely degraded, but should still have life left. Would test Voc and Isc with multimeter before deciding to utilize.

- Would a 20A PWM Solar Charge Controller work or should I look at a larger MPPT controller with 150Voc/40a?

PWM only with 2 panels on a 24V battery. Performance would be halved on 12V.

A 150/40 would work for 2X in parallel or series on a 12V battery.

"Sufficient" depends on your usage. Can't say conclusively based on the non-specific requirements. Specific requirements are along the lines of, " I need to run X items that use Y Watts for Z hours per day."

Link #5 in my signature for your available solar.
Link #1 in my signature for an energy audit.

Assuming the voltage is Vmp, only in parallel on a PWM controller on a 24V battery. MPPT is flexible - series or parallel on a 12 or 24V system.

Although this spec sheet is for the same part number, it shows a 340w panel, which these are definitely not: http://astronergy.com/attch/download/STAR_CHSM6612M_40mm frame_201801.pdf

Fuzzy JPEG? You sure the 34.39 isn't 37.29? That would correspond with the 325W version on the datasheet.

Are the panels Free?
Then definitely worth it.
If not then who knows?

180w into a 12V battery is 15A
Why would you need a 150V 40A scc?
360w into a 12V battery is 30A and a 100V max input scc.

Use Case:
- Northeast US

Some questions:

Welcome to the forum.

Vmp & Imp? 300W panels?

They are likely degraded, but should still have life left. Would test Voc and Isc with multimeter before deciding to utilize.

PWM only with 2 panels on a 24V battery. Performance would be halved on 12V.

A 150/40 would work for 2X in parallel or series on a 12V battery.

"Sufficient" depends on your usage. Can't say conclusively based on the non-specific requirements. Specific requirements are along the lines of, " I need to run X items that use Y Watts for Z hours per day."

Link #5 in my signature for your available solar.
Link #1 in my signature for an energy audit.

Assuming the voltage is Vmp, only in parallel on a PWM controller on a 24V battery. MPPT is flexible - series or parallel on a 12 or 24V system.

Fuzzy JPEG? You sure the 34.39 isn't 37.29? That would correspond with the 325W version on the datasheet.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I still need to learn about Vmp & Imp. I’m leaning toward a 12v battery due to the ease of connecting so many available 12v devices. I haven’t learned how to connect 12v devices to a 24v battery.

It seems like MPPT is just the way to go, regardless if I can get these panels, as it offers more versatility down the road.

Finally, I’ll attach the JPEG I received maybe someone with better eyes can make it out!

Attachments

• CHSM6612M?.jpg
    CHSM6612M?.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 3
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I still need to learn about Vmp & Imp. I’m leaning toward a 12v battery due to the ease of connecting so many available 12v devices. I haven’t learned how to connect 12v devices to a 24v battery.

It seems like MPPT is just the way to go, regardless if I can get these panels, as it offers more versatility down the road.

Finally, I’ll attach the JPEG I received maybe someone with better eyes can make it out!

Completely different panel, 180W, but you said that, and I missed it.

Suspect the 8.XX amps is actually 5.XX.

Whatever the case, those are 72 cell/24V panels, so if you're going 12V, you must go MPPT, or they will only be 90W panels on PWM.

Using the two planning links I provided, you can determine how much PV and how much battery you'll need.

Are the panels Free?
Then definitely worth it.
If not then who knows?

180w into a 12V battery is 15A
Why would you need a 150V 40A scc?
360w into a 12V battery is 30A and a 100V max input scc.
A. Yes, the panels are reported to be free! I’m hoping to hear back about them soon.

B. Someone told me a 34v panel into a 12v battery would not work. That’s when I learned that a 150v 40a MPPT would be needed to manage the down-volt to safely charge a 12v battery. Is that correct?

Completely different panel, 180W, but you said that, and I missed it.

Suspect the 8.XX amps is actually 5.XX.

Whatever the case, those are 72 cell/24V panels, so if you're going 12V, you must go MPPT, or they will only be 90W panels on PWM.

Using the two planning links I provided, you can determine how much PV and how much battery you'll need.
Thank you again!
If only the people looking to get rid of the panels replied as quickly ?

Original post didn't indicate free.

If they are physically intact and undamaged, they are worth it... :)

Back