diy solar

diy solar

Residential Solar Plan Permit Set

solarman20

Greetings all,

Does anybody know how I can draw a solar plan for a house? Is there any easy an low cost tool that I can use to draw the plans and submit it to city for permitting and approval? The house is located in SOCAL.

Thank you in advance.

I paid something like $300 to have the wholesaler write my plans in 2018.
I've now edited/modified those plans twice for other PV permits using Adobe and Power Point. Not the most elegant solution, but it worked for me.

You might start by going to the city to discuss permit requirements.

I paid something like $300 to have the wholesaler write my plans in 2018.
I've now edited/modified those plans twice for other PV permits using Adobe and Power Point. Not the most elegant solution, but it worked for me.

You might start by going to the city to discuss permit requirements.
I have both pdf and CAD software to edit. I have also contacted the city for solar permit requirement. I heard there are tools that can help develop them.

Greetings all,

Does anybody know how I can draw a solar plan for a house? Is there any easy an low cost tool that I can use to draw the plans and submit it to city for permitting and approval? The house is located in SOCAL.

Thank you in advance.
If you decide not to draw the plans yourself, there are commercial firms that will put the permit package together for you, for a fee. Here's one example and you'll find others searching with Google and Craigslist.

Here in San Diego there are two firms that will do the entire package including getting the actual permit.
$3-4 hundred bucks + permit cost.

I found a guy in Northern California that did permit plans and NEM application for $800. He knew the ropes with PG&E so I could get larger system than PG&E's formula would allow. Because timing was critical his fee was worth it.

I found a guy in Northern California that did permit plans and NEM application for $800. He knew the ropes with PG&E so I could get larger system than PG&E's formula would allow. Because timing was critical his fee was worth it.
Can you provide his contact info? I had my PV system expanded from a 3kw grid-tie PV-only system to a 6kw hybrid PV+battery system, but the local installer I found - who did a good job, no real complaints - did not do any of the NEM paperwork. I've tried doing it myself, but PG&E always finds issues with it. I'd gladly pay someone to look over the system I have, make any recommendations for changes needed to meet NEM 2.0 requirements, and do the NEM application such that PG&E accepts it.

$800 ! Yikes!
San Diego its $300-$400
I dont know if they would do a "Nor-Cal/pge though?

I'm in Southern Oregon and did it myself for an off-grid setup. Agree with discussing w/permit authority what you need to do.
In my case, there was 1 permit but 2 distinct parts:
1) Roof - I had to submit house plans in PDF form showing the roof/rail/weights arrangement. I used IronRidge rails and they have specs for this purpose so you can submit it yourself.
2) Even as "homeowner doing it" I was required to have an electrician of record. I hired a guy that was by-the-hour and willing to do/teach me (and even let me do some of the work).

The roof inspector was not nice or helpful - but IronRidge with complete load specs, supporting posts distances, etc is hard to argue with.
The electrical inspector just looked around, ignored the DIY 18650 battery, and confirmed conduit/wire/cutt-off/UL-ETL listings on stuff and that there was not any tie to the grid - no big deal. I showed him 'the plug' where I could consume the inverter output - and he was happy.

I think each situation is different, so maybe I got lucky, but the worst for me was I had to wait HOURS at the city office waiting area as apparently they don't like homeowner permit applications. I asked, should I come back in a few hours/tomorrow? and they just ignored me. After about 4hrs they said "Approved" and stamped my copies etc and took a few hundred $. It was weird but not really that difficult!

Last edited:
For plans I used solardesigntool to make the line drawing package and add all the relevant listings for the racking, inverter and BOM. Then provided that to GreenLancer along with the necessary interior attic photos showing the trusses and strapping to get the wet stamps for a registered PE for my State, the building department required for issuing a permit.

My package was about 7 pages of C size drawings AND another 6 pages from the PE certify the roof ( and calculations ). This was in Pinellas County FL, we are required to design to 145mph winds.

For plans I used solardesigntool to make the line drawing package and add all the relevant listings for the racking, inverter and BOM. Then provided that to GreenLancer along with the necessary interior attic photos showing the trusses and strapping to get the wet stamps for a registered PE for my State, the building department required for issuing a permit.

My package was about 7 pages of C size drawings AND another 6 pages from the PE certify the roof ( and calculations ). This was in Pinellas County FL, we are required to design to 145mph winds.
I am considering using GreenLancer also. They have a variety of packages. Which ones did you purchase? Did you also have them do the interconnection agreement?

I am considering using GreenLancer also. They have a variety of packages. Which ones did you purchase? Did you also have them do the interconnection agreement?
I did the permit package and supplied that with interior attic photos showing the trusses to GreenLancer which handled getting PE wet stamps and letter validating roof for mounting, very reasonable cost.

Interconnection agreement is provided by your electrical service provider, not the other way around.

I did the permit package and supplied that with interior attic photos showing the trusses to GreenLancer which handled getting PE wet stamps and letter validating roof for mounting, very reasonable cost.

Interconnection agreement is provided by your electrical service provider, not the other way around.I
I see. Greenlancer.com is confusing, because they offer so many packages. I just went to my local PECO, and they have a program CONNECTTHEGRID where I need to apply for netmetering interconnection. They do want some documents, so I have to figure that out.

i paid 750$ for mine, including review and stamp from structural engineer. once i saw the plans i realized i could do it all on my own and just had it reviewed by local structural engineer. would cost me probably just half of what i paid. after reading city requirements, i was expecting something more elaborate was needed, but the plans are quite simple once you understand the install a bit more. which i didnt at the time but now i do. my 2nd string permit, definetly doing myself.

I am in the process of of getting a solar plan set to apply for a permit to install panals on the roof In Chandler AZ Maricopa County.

My plan is to not do grid tie.
I am going to install a sub panel after the inverter. I will input the grid to the inverter for charging the batteries. My equipment I have so far is.
1. Victron quatro 48v/10,000/140amp-120v not UL listed.
2. Victron smart solar RS-450v/100a 2 Mppt trackers with Earth fault protection. I believe its UL listened.
3. Victron 100 amp Auto transformer.
4. Victron Lynx Distributor.1000a
5. 18 SunPower 360w solar panels (array 1 ) 6S3P UL listed
6. 6 REC solar 365w solar panels (array. 2 ) 6S0P UL listed

I was looking at SoK rack batterys I am being told now UL listed or eg4 lifepowers UL listed.

Does anybody know if permit requires an engineering stamp for the roof mount in az?
The other question I have Is will the victron quatro be an issue even though I'm not grid tie to supply power to the grid?

I am in the process of of getting a solar plan set to apply for a permit to install panals on the roof In Chandler AZ Maricopa County.

My plan is to not do grid tie.
I am going to install a sub panel after the inverter. I will input the grid to the inverter for charging the batteries. My equipment I have so far is.
1. Victron quatro 48v/10,000/140amp-120v not UL listed.
I don't think you'll make it through any plan check without listed equipment.
2. Victron smart solar RS-450v/100a 2 Mppt trackers with Earth fault protection. I believe its UL listened.
Depending on what year NEC code your area is in, arc fault may be required in addition to ground fault.
3. Victron 100 amp Auto transformer.
4. Victron Lynx Distributor.1000a
5. 18 SunPower 360w solar panels (array 1 ) 6S3P UL listed
6. 6 REC solar 365w solar panels (array. 2 ) 6S0P UL listed

I was looking at SoK rack batterys I am being told now UL listed or eg4 lifepowers UL listed.

Does anybody know if permit requires an engineering stamp for the roof mount in az?
Sorry no help, I'm just typing here to separate out the next question.
The other question I have Is will the victron quatro be an issue even though I'm not grid tie to supply power to the grid?
I do think it will be an issue. The city (or AHJ) in theory wants your system safe. Their only way of doing than is ensuring code compliance. The electrical/building codes likely require Listed components. Depending on your area, even the Link Distributor may need to be listed. NEC 2020 requires all components to be listed.

I don't think you'll make it through any plan check without listed equipment.

Depending on what year NEC code your area is in, arc fault may be required in addition to ground fault.

Sorry no help, I'm just typing here to separate out the next question.

I do think it will be an issue. The city (or AHJ) in theory wants your system safe. Their only way of doing than is ensuring code compliance. The electrical/building codes likely require Listed components. Depending on your area, even the Link Distributor may need to be listed. NEC 2020 requires all components to be listed.

MY AHJ is NEC 2017

Last edited:
That good news for the battery and bus bar. I don't remember when the Arc Fault requirement was first implemented. Are you ground mounting? That gets around the arc fault requirement.

Back