diy solar

diy solar

Ripped Off by Well Installer

AgroVenturesPeru

Long story short, we had a guy who runs his own well-installation company come out and see about installing a tubular well for us to get clean groundwater for our home. He said there was definitely water, and for an agreed upon price, they'd try "as many times as it would take" to acheive our goal.

We paid, they drilled in three places, and then gave up. They proposed installing a Caisson well near our creek, which they insisted would be an equivalent installation to the tubular well (i.e. it would be provide our house with a year round supply of clean water with the flip of a switch).

Their installation lasted about a couple days before contaminating with mud, and I've since learned there is nothing "Caisson" about their installation. All they did was dig a 2-2.5m deep pit about 10 feet next to the shore of the creek, and then make us spend a bunch of money delivering gravel and hauling it out to the remote location for a week using three different horses. They placed a 6 inch pvc pipe in the middle of the pit, where they suspended our submersible pump, and then filled in the rest of the pit with gravel.

As I said, the thing lasted a couple days until we had the first rain. From that point forward it just kept getting worse and worse. Water quality declining and visibly muddy like chocolate milk, no longer any significant water capacity, leaking plumbing connections, check valve ruined, now some electrical short with the pump that causes our home's differential to trip and cut off all electricity to the entire house everytime we try to run the submersible pump.

They said a six month guarantee, but we've been trying to get this guy to show up and do something now for about six months. Not that there is anything they can really solve anyway, because they had a poor design in the first place. The top of the 6-inch pipe is slightly below the level of the creek's bank, so in any big storm it is completely exposed to the dirty overflow from the creek.

We haven't been able to fill our home's water tank even once since their installation.

Maybe the guy is going to show up today, but he has been stringing us along now for weeks. We haven't told him, but we want him out here to confront him face-to-face. I'm pissed. We can't really sue him, because the legal system here is useless (we've tried that avenue with similar con artists in the past). I'm thinking about just smearing his business. There are no google reviews in Peru, but everyone advertises through facebook marketplace, so we can post our own ads with the same keywords so people will learn what they could expect from hiring the guy. We're also thinking of using friends and family to pose as potential customers in order to lure him out to remote locations, and then never hire him at any of those sites, just so he wastes his time. I'll give him a couple days to return all our money, and if not I guess I need to do something. Hopefully he understands his reputation is worth more than the 5000 Soles he scammed us out of.

Any other ideas?

Can't really think of anything else to do that's legal.

Save your mental health. Move on. In Peru you will never win. Are there any homes in your general area? Could you inquire about their water source?

Well, all the things you mentioned are certainly cheaper than a lawyer ;·)

Still, the important thing being the water, have you tried decanting it? Like in a big bucket? See how long it takes for the silt to settle?
-

Well, all the things you mentioned are certainly cheaper than a lawyer ;·)

Still, the important thing being the water, have you tried decanting it? Like in a big bucket? See how long it takes for the silt to settle?
-
No, we use rainwater and it's the rainy season, so it won't be a problem for a few months.

For rainwater, I use this:
20220227_185332.jpg

The silt stays at the bottom, the outlet has a little filter on it, simple and effective :·)
Still, you want a well. If you can't get it very clean, decanting could get rid of most of the "mud". If it's still not clean enough, consider a reverse-osmosis watermaker. They have 24V ones that are quite efficient, and reasonably cheap.
-

View attachment 85463

The silt stays at the bottom, the outlet has a little filter on it, simple and effective :·)
Still, you want a well. If you can't get it very clean, decanting could get rid of most of the "mud". If it's still not clean enough, consider a reverse-osmosis watermaker. They have 24V ones that are quite efficient, and reasonably cheap.
-
I don't have the money for a well anymore. The fraudster ran off with the money that was for the well. Anyway, what would be better than trying to retrofit their joke of a well, would just be to extend the piping the extra 10 feet to the creek and hooking up a more traditional water pump when needed with a hose straight out of the creek. The creek water flows year round, and is much cleaner than the soup from this guy's mud pit.

Reactions: Zil
View attachment 85463

-
Our rainwater harvesting setup is similar with a first flush column. I disagree that a well is better. Sure if you live in a place where rain is unreliable. That's not here. Rainwater requires no moving parts, electricity, gas, or expensive machines, and is pure. If I still had the money, I'd just add another overflow tank to the tank we already have, and then I could store enough rainwater for two months.

Well, I called the guy and gave him an ultimatum, because he brushed us off yet again. That was the last straw for me. I think it must've been the 8th time doing that to us.
Since he refused to return our money, I've gone ahead and starting documenting things. Just starting by putting this video out there. Hopefully, we can at least prevent someone else from getting swindled.

I'm surprised you got anyone to even agree to drill more than once quite frankly. Around here you pay by the foot drilled, whether you hit water or not.

Long story short, we had a guy who runs his own well-installation company come out and see about installing a tubular well for us to get clean groundwater for our home. He said there was definitely water, and for an agreed upon price, they'd try "as many times as it would take" to acheive our goal.

We paid, they drilled in three places, and then gave up. They proposed installing a Caisson well near our creek, which they insisted would be an equivalent installation to the tubular well (i.e. it would be provide our house with a year round supply of clean water with the flip of a switch).

Their installation lasted about a couple days before contaminating with mud, and I've since learned there is nothing "Caisson" about their installation. All they did was dig a 2-2.5m deep pit about 10 feet next to the shore of the creek, and then make us spend a bunch of money delivering gravel and hauling it out to the remote location for a week using three different horses. They placed a 6 inch pvc pipe in the middle of the pit, where they suspended our submersible pump, and then filled in the rest of the pit with gravel.

As I said, the thing lasted a couple days until we had the first rain. From that point forward it just kept getting worse and worse. Water quality declining and visibly muddy like chocolate milk, no longer any significant water capacity, leaking plumbing connections, check valve ruined, now some electrical short with the pump that causes our home's differential to trip and cut off all electricity to the entire house everytime we try to run the submersible pump.

They said a six month guarantee, but we've been trying to get this guy to show up and do something now for about six months. Not that there is anything they can really solve anyway, because they had a poor design in the first place. The top of the 6-inch pipe is slightly below the level of the creek's bank, so in any big storm it is completely exposed to the dirty overflow from the creek.

We haven't been able to fill our home's water tank even once since their installation.

Maybe the guy is going to show up today, but he has been stringing us along now for weeks. We haven't told him, but we want him out here to confront him face-to-face. I'm pissed. We can't really sue him, because the legal system here is useless (we've tried that avenue with similar con artists in the past). I'm thinking about just smearing his business. There are no google reviews in Peru, but everyone advertises through facebook marketplace, so we can post our own ads with the same keywords so people will learn what they could expect from hiring the guy. We're also thinking of using friends and family to pose as potential customers in order to lure him out to remote locations, and then never hire him at any of those sites, just so he wastes his time. I'll give him a couple days to return all our money, and if not I guess I need to do something. Hopefully he understands his reputation is worth more than the 5000 Soles he scammed us out of.

Any other ideas?

Would hate to read a short story from you. : )

Any other ideas?

If you want to try to fix it you could ring the inside with Silt fence and that wound trap the sediment outside.

Or

Dig out the center and put progressively smaller stone until you got to something like Diatomaceous earth in the center and that with the silt fence should clear it up.

Or

You can install a sedimentary filter in-line and clean it out weekly or however long it took to clog.

Well, I called the guy and gave him an ultimatum, because he brushed us off yet again. That was the last straw for me. I think it must've been the 8th time doing that to us.
Since he refused to return our money, I've gone ahead and starting documenting things. Just starting by putting this video out there. Hopefully, we can at least prevent someone else from getting swindled.
Just saw your video.

There is not even a wall around it.

It’s a hole in the ground with a gravel filter.

At this point the only option I see is to install a In-line filter and change or clean it often.

Where you not there when they were doing the work?

How much is that in USD?
About $1300 USD, if google is to be believed.

OP, I can't offer meaningful advice about your water situation, but I would say --as someone who has been at the losing end of a lot of deals in my time-- if you don't think you'll get your money back, then take your L and move on. Life's too short.

About $1300 USD, if google is to be believed.

OP, I can't offer meaningful advice about your water situation, but I would say --as someone who has been at the losing end of a lot of deals in my time-- if you don't think you'll get your money back, then take your L and move on. Life's too short.

That doesn't sound like a lot of money to drill three holes. Probably shouldn't guaranteed water but still.

I had a well drilled this summer. Waited 6 months for the them to get here. They showed up around noon on Day 1 with a million dollar rig. It was an impressive machine. They drilled a 430' deep hole were driving off by noon the next day. Just under $10k but I did have water.

Back