diy solar

diy solar

Rockwood & Flagstaff 190 Watt Panel Upgrade

JMMGarza

2021 models of the Micro and Mini Lite travel trailer offer a 190 watt panel, a Go Power 1,000 watt inverter plus PWM charge controller. My goal is to upgrade to 3 panels and replace (PWM to MPPT) and relocate the charge controller. Details, details, details. Maybe this summer?

Some of those OEM installs have upgrade kits available. I'm not saying to get their kit. Look at their kit to see how big they can expand to. That may give you some idea of what you can do without ripping out everything. You're already planning on ripping out most of it, so what it comes down to is will the existing wiring support what you want to do?

Most MPPT controllers do not have a display like many of the PWM controllers do. My GoPower PWM controller has a display, so if I eliminated/replaced that controller there would be a hole in the wall.

I'm still amazed at the paltry number of watts trailer manufacturers are putting in.

2021 models of the Micro and Mini Lite travel trailer offer a 190 watt panel, a Go Power 1,000 watt inverter plus PWM charge controller. My goal is to upgrade to 3 panels and replace (PWM to MPPT) and relocate the charge controller. Details, details, details. Maybe this summer?
I am looking to buy the same brand TT. I will upgrade to MPPT. I will not roof mount extra panels in the beginning. I am in the east, and all of the places I like to go are wooded and shade covered. So I will add ground panels to catch the sun while parked in the shade. I am hoping the roof panel will help on travel and storage days, and the ground panels will supplement while at camp.

I have just ordered a Rockwood 5th wheeler to import into Australia. I went with the 12v fridge and it comes with 190w solar panel and the "1000w inverter, that I don't need but comes in a package deal". I have no idea of the quality of solar panel and can't get a 2nd panel at time of ordering

In my limited experience, 190 watt panel and two golf cart batteries is enough to boondock with a couple of caveats. If the propane heater is run at night, the blower motor can pull 8 amps, which on a cold night can lead to a lot of energy usage. This could deplete the two batteries less than 50% leading to a quick death for them. Also may not get enough energy off one panel to recharge 50% usage in one day.

I wonder how well one or two panels at 190 w to 380 w holds up to usage. With laptop charging and a cold night, I’ve used 165 ah of power, and the few setups I’ve seen that size come with two golf cart batteries that total around 220 ah. Not charging the laptop on a cold night, I can get 110ah to 130 ah, which mostly comes from the Propane Blower Motor set to 70 degrees. Outside temp of 45 degrees seems to be a point where the propane heater starts working much more, and once below freezing it works a lot harder.

As far as upgrading the solar, I’m curious how easy it is to upgrade the wiring. Hopefully thicker wire would not be necessary as more panels are put on the roof. There’s a big difference between 10 gauge and 6 gauge wire in voltage loss from the roof, and with the way my RV was slapped together, I’d not be surprised if they used 12 gauge or 14 gauge to run the wire from the roof to the SCC underneath. So, I’m hoping they could provide the specs of this wire since me getting the one solar panel up top is so I would avoid drilling a hole myself.

I have 400ah lithium and 580w of solar on my present van, however I will have to wait until July/August for delivery to Australia. Lots of modifications before getting it on the road, probably another 6 months. A long time for someone with minimal patience

The wiring in the 2021 Rockwood and Flagstaff models with the DC fridge combo is rated for 30 amps. Each 190 watt solar panel is rated at about 9.3 amps. So three panels in parallel is the max while using the manufacturer installed wiring. I would consult an electrician to confirm my info.

The wiring in the 2021 Rockwood and Flagstaff models with the DC fridge combo is rated for 30 amps. Each 190 watt solar panel is rated at about 9.3 amps. So three panels in parallel is the max while using the manufacturer installed wiring. I would consult an electrician to confirm my info.
The one bonus with a pre run cable is it should be pretty easy to pull a larger cable through. I hope to get 800w or more up on the roof or more

The one bonus with a pre run cable is it should be pretty easy to pull a larger cable through. I hope to get 800w or more up on the roof or more

I've read where that isn't always true. If it's a straight shot, with no bends, not a problem. Add a couple bends and an installer that likes to secure wires down, and you'll never pull the wire through.

I've read where that isn't always true. If it's a straight shot, with no bends, not a problem. Add a couple bends and an installer that likes to secure wires down, and you'll never pull the wire through.
Brilliant!!

That may be true, however most manufacturers are into easy and quick especially going through walls. They do tie things together around the chassis area though. I've have to have a positive attitude, the alternative will be very frustrating

A conduit from the floor to the roof is always an option. What makes that good is if you oversize the conduit, there’s room for expansion. That could be another bank of panels, a satellite antenna, or WiFi.

Also, if three panels in parallel is the manufacturer limit, doubling up on panels with 2 in series and three in parallel should not exceed the limit.

I had two choices in solar wire: 600 volts and something greater I think 1000 volts. If your manufacturer did not use low voltage speaker wire, which would be bad, putting panels on a series could be an option.

Your PWM controller might not like the additional voltage to stay at 12 volt system, so this would mean an MPPT.

Things do change. Aolithium sent me two 12v 100ah batteries to review. I plan to install them in parallel in my new Rockwood Mini Lite 2205s. I pick my RV next week. Finally.

Part one of my solar system upgrade is simply adding the two batteries. Next I will be adding panels and upgrading the charge controller and converter. But first, the batteries.

The dealership will install a 12v 65ah flooded battery. A modest battery indeed! Once I get the RV home I plan to route (somehow) the battery cables from the tongue into the front pass through storage.

The RV comes with the GoPower Weekender Kit. I won't be changing much there, yet. As you know. The kit includes a 190 watt panel going to a 30amp PWM charge controller located inside and under the TV. From the tongue mounted battery box to the charge controller is about 12 feet. The kit also includes a 1,000 watt inverter.

The plan is to connect the cables to the two 100ah batteries and place a 100amp terminal fuse on the positive post. I know there are a myriad of ways to fuse a TT solar system. This seems relativelyView attachment 74927 simple and to the point. What do you think?

Attachments

• 3_Final.jpg
    3_Final.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 19
I have a 2016 2405S mini lite. At the tongue looking at the trailer is the tank water fill on the right side towards the front of the trailer? If so you can run your wiring from the current battery position through the hole in the frame for the water inlet then follow the hose. Punch through the foam that they sealed that hose entrance with. Seal it back up and your into the pass-through. As a side note I sent my solar wiring through the front awning mount under the plastic cover, Down and through the entrance that was there for the LED light and awning motor wiring.

Last edited:
It looks like you power distro panel is in the back. There is a guy on the Forest River forums with a 2109S and his power control center is in the rear. He moved his batteries back next to the control center in the bottom of his pantry. I looked at the virtual tour of the 2205S and see there is a spot under the pantry for shoes right next to the power panel. That's where he put his batteries. He managed to fit 2 LiFePO4 batteries in that space by removing the divider to the right. I would look into that. Here's the thread he started for all his mods:

01tundra 2109S build thread

I moved my batteries from my front storage to a spot about 3ft from my control center. I had to trace the wires and figure out how to redo the DC side. Once I decided to move the batteries, I just ran new cables to the AC/DC panel and left the old ones there but not hooked to anything. Never could figure out exactly where they routed the main cables from the old battery location to the DC panel. They disappeared into the bottom of the retailer and reappeared at the DC panel. Man they used a lot of wire to go a short distance.

Hi JMM Garza. I've been watching your videos for a while.
We own a 2021 2205S, with two 190 watt panels on the roof ( one Go Power, one HQST, with two more 190 watt HQST panels to be mounted next spring), a 60-amp mppt charge controller in the pass through compartment, lifepo4 batteries in the pass through.
Last fall I mocked up the four panels in 2s2p, which is how I plan to connect them when I roofmount the two additional panels. That way the panel voltage is doubled, allowing me to retain all the existing wiring.

Last edited:
Hey FLD,

I am planning on getting a 2205S in the next year and planning on upgrades which include what you have done already and like your idea of how to add two additional panels on the roof.

Without having a real life 2205S in my driveway, trying to plan on how some of the work can be done. If possible, can you post pic(s) of where you mounted controller and batteries in passthru? Also, was it a simple matter of pulling back wiring from tongue to passthru for the batteries!

JMM Garza, congrats on your upgraded trailer. Been enjoying your adventures/videos in your YouTube channel as well. It is appreciated and informative!

Hey FLD,

I am planning on getting a 2205S in the next year and planning on upgrades which include what you have done already and like your idea of how to add two additional panels on the roof.

Without having a real life 2205S in my driveway, trying to plan on how some of the work can be done. If possible, can you post pic(s) of where you mounted controller and batteries in passthru? Also, was it a simple matter of pulling back wiring from tongue to passthru for the batteries!

JMM Garza, congrats on your upgraded trailer. Been enjoying your adventures/videos in your YouTube channel as well. It is appreciated and informative!
I sent you a message. Let me know if you receive it. I'm new on this forum and not real sure how messages/conversations work.

diy solar

diy solar
Back