diy solar

diy solar

Winnebago 2201MB Solar Upgrade

Nomadic1

I bought the book, studied it, watched hours of videos about solar and have an upgrade plan. Looking for a general review to help make sure I don't have any problems with components or planning.

2021 Toyota Tundra and a 2022 Winnebago 2201MB Trailer with 190 watt solar panel and 30 amp pwm controller with a cheap factory battery.
I bought the Renogy 50 amp dc/dc with mppt solar charger and will run a 2 gauge wire from the alternator with plug at the bumper.
Plan to add 2 additional 190 watt panels for a total of 570 watts, these panels are 12 volts at 9.3 amps each and will run in parellel so 27.9 amps.
Thinking to use inline fuses for each panel and 8 gauge wire with mc4 connectors and 3 to 1 branch connectors
Planning to add a Renogy 2000 watt inverter and a 20 amp ac/dc charger for shore power. (if I hook up it will be overnight or longer)
I have not decided what battery yet, but I'm looking at a 300Ah 12V LiFePO4, with built-in 200A BM by Wingda or similar for 799.88 Amazon.

I plan to follow the 400 watt with alternator charging plan, except for 570 watts of solar and adding disconnects for the solar and alternator.
I would appreciate any suggestions or advice for my project.

Plan to add 2 additional 190 watt panels for a total of 570 watts, these panels are 12 volts at 9.3 amps each and will run in parellel so 27.9 amps.
3x 190W panels and a 30A PWM controller does not sound like a good combination. Do you have an idea how you expect to wire them? All in parallel is 28A and is at the limits of most solar wiring and connectors.

What is the Voc and Vmp of your panels? "12V panels" is purely a marketing term and lures people into purchasing them.

You'd need to provide a like to the plans you speak of if you want people to know what you are talking about. Same for the batteries you mention.

The panels are 12V
9.3 amp
24.3 VOC
20.3 Vmp
I did mention the Renogy 50 amp mppt solar- dc/dc charge controller
300Ah 12V LiFePO4, with built-in 200A BM
most of the specs are in the original content

3x 190W panels and a 30A PWM controller does not sound like a good combination. Do you have an idea how you expect to wire them? All in parallel is 28A and is at the limits of most solar wiring and connectors.

What is the Voc and Vmp of your panels? "12V panels" is purely a marketing term and lures people into purchasing them.

You'd need to provide a like to the plans you speak of if you want people to know what you are talking about. Same for the batteries you mention.

Thanks you
The panels are 12V 190 watt x 3 for 570 watts
9.3 amp x 3 = 27.9 amps
24.3 VOC
20.3 Vmp
Renogy 50 amp mppt solar- dc/dc charge controller
300Ah 12V LiFePO4, with built-in 200A BM
this is the link to the plan

The Renogy Dcc50 has an unusually (unusable?) low max input voltage so you cannot put your panels in series.
So your “12V” panels are 20.3V.
You will be near the limits if you’re solar wiring. You need inline fuses for your 3 panels in series before 3:1 parallel connection.

Back