diy solar

diy solar

Rolling shelf for battery bank.

DEEP NNN

Is it a good idea or a bad idea to use a wire shelf for holding my 4 x LiFePo4 100Ah battery bank?
This one is plenty ample for the weight and the size is perfect for my project.
Rolling shelf.jpg

Is it a good idea or a bad idea to use a wire shelf for holding my 4 x LiFePo4 100Ah battery bank?
This one is plenty ample for the weight and the size is perfect for my project.
View attachment 123656
That’s not a shelf. This is a shelf!!

Just teasing.
Not sure how your going to get 4 batteries on 3 shelves??
As long as it will hold the combined weight of all the cells I don’t see any issues.
I would put plastic separator between batteries and Shelf though.

Attachments

• 42749F48-4FFC-4002-A69D-31EF6A2E5133.jpeg
    42749F48-4FFC-4002-A69D-31EF6A2E5133.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 38
That’s not a shelf. This is a shelf!!

Just teasing.
Not sure how your going to get 4 batteries on 3 shelves??
As long as it will hold the combined weight of all the cells I don’t see any issues.
I would put plastic separator between batteries and Shelf though.
That's a nice setup you have.

The shelves pictured only have to hold 4 of the typical 22lb car battery sized LiFePo4 12V batteries. The shelf can handle the weight.

I just want to make sure I don't do something stupid that an experienced person might say like, " never use a metal wire shelf".

It looks good my concern are the wheels, batteries are not wireless they use cables so shelf should not move, I know you can lock wheels but only 2 so it can rotate.
Thanks for the advice. The shelving unit will likely be locked stationary but it is possible I may move it to a new location. It'd be great if the only thing that needed to be disconnected were the wires.

It looks a little bit wobbly for 100 lbs. Keep your batteries on bottom shelf and you should be OK?
Here is another solution of about the same size.....but it is more expensive.
I had to enclse 240AH@36V lithium along with all electronics.
I started out with a HomeDepot gladiator free-standing cabinet
For rolling base, I used this harbor freight dolly.

There are four 24"x 1/2" through bolts anchoring cabinet&batteries to the dolly. Total weight about 250 lbs?
IMG_0692.jpg

It looks a little bit wobbly for 100 lbs. Keep your batteries on bottom shelf and you should be OK?
Here is another solution....but it is more expensive.
It is holding 240AH@36V lithium.
I started out with a HomeDepot gladiator free-standing cabinet
For rolling base, I used this harbor freight dolly.

There are four 24"x 1/2" through bolts anchoring cabinet&batteries to the dolly. Total weight about 250 lbs?
View attachment 123663
Cool. I never even thought of using a closed cabinet. Seems very practical for keeping children away.

Cool. I never even thought of using a closed cabinet. Seems very practical for keeping children away.
It is a pretty slick box for a small-scale solar project. It will handle the weight. That said, I believe care should be taken when applying lateral forces (such as pushing cart forward from the top or cabinet). I've not run into any problems moving it around in my garage.
IMG_0694.jpg

Last edited:
Fabricated my own in 2018, used small steel wheels so they do not roll easily and also will not deform if made of hard rubber or plastic. Used it then for 4 12-volts 100AH AGM batteries. Now upgraded with shell to use lifepo4 batteries.

Attachments

• lifepo4.jpg
    lifepo4.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 20
  • shell.jpg
    shell.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 19
  • AGM rack.jpg
    AGM rack.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 2-IMG_3158.jpg
    2-IMG_3158.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 19
Fabricated my own in 2018, used small steel wheels so they do not roll easily and also will not deform if made of hard rubber or plastic. Used it then for 4 12-volts 100AH AGM batteries. Now upgraded with shell to use lifepo4 batteries.
I love reading how people make their own solutions. What kind of LiFePo4 batteries are those? I never saw cylindrical before.

I love reading how people make their own solutions. What kind of LiFePo4 batteries are those? I never saw cylindrical before.
S168 60280 (55AH). Was available thru ebay then, claimed to be 'new' but probable RFEs. Aliexpress did not have them about 3 months ago. Now they are available. I have 3 slots in the 'shelf' but only 2 are used. Contemplating on using prismatic for the third slot.

Lessons Learned Dept: !

Be very wary of the wheels and their load handling capabilities, it is really NO FUN if/when underated wheels fold up under the heavy weight And the "child protection" factor of a cabinet is wise, not only for children but any critters etc in the house and accidental oopsies.

BTW: My powerhouse has a concrete floor BUT I installed Rubber Horse Matts (made from recycled rubber) over the whole floor as 1300AH of hot DC Power can be quite a zot is something goes awry. BTW, Tractor Supply seems to have the best deals on 3/4" thick 5'x7' "horse stall matt's"

I built a Lifepo4 pack using a tool shelf from amazon, works well but probably close to its limit. Only needs to move very occasionally, just need to be careful the wheels dont get pushed in the wrong direction... !!

IMG_20221130_153735.jpg

Lessons Learned Dept: !

Be very wary of the wheels and their load handling capabilities, it is really NO FUN if/when underated wheels fold up under the heavy weight And the "child protection" factor of a cabinet is wise, not only for children but any critters etc in the house and accidental oopsies.

BTW: My powerhouse has a concrete floor BUT I installed Rubber Horse Matts (made from recycled rubber) over the whole floor as 1300AH of hot DC Power can be quite a zot is something goes awry. BTW, Tractor Supply seems to have the best deals on 3/4" thick 5'x7' "horse stall matt's"
I hear you on the wheels. This unit is rated at 800lb total but what if it never moves for years and they get a flat spot. Would be annoying. Based on safety comments, I may at least tack on some plastic panels to prevent accidental shorts.

That's a nice setup you have.

The shelves pictured only have to hold 4 of the typical 22lb car battery sized LiFePo4 12V batteries. The shelf can handle the weight.

I just want to make sure I don't do something stupid that an experienced person might say like, " never use a metal wire shelf".
Nah I use Metal shelving but I do put plastic between batteries and shelf..

Attachments

• 07695BF6-0F75-46FC-886A-54670C2DA28F.jpeg
    07695BF6-0F75-46FC-886A-54670C2DA28F.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 25
Metal shelving unit here. I like the cabinet idea if something goes wrong at least it might be contained. That gladiator cabinet would be perfect but I need at least 48” depth

Attachments

• FBAE5903-285F-47BE-9E35-9D3F36507470.jpeg
    FBAE5903-285F-47BE-9E35-9D3F36507470.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Just a follow up image of the rolling shelf unit I ordered. It can handle up to 800lb. My project doesn't even come close to that.

battery shelf.jpg

I'm planning on using the rolling wire shelves for my LiFEPO4 server rack batteries, and anderson SB 175 connectors to connect them. The shelves and casters are rated a bit over 2x the max weight I'll put on them.

Back