diy solar

diy solar

Rolls batteries and Solark 12k

DGSmooth

Cheers all. New here myself, holy moly a lot of info lol. Was hoping somebody could help me, as I think I don’t have a complicated problem, just I’m not knowledgeable enough yet lol

I don’t have all the exact equipment info, I’ll get it tonight, but I have a Solark 12k, and Rolls flooded batteries. Issue I’m having is my SG is way low, like 1.15. The Solark will show batteries at “100%”, but SG low. From what I’ve been reading, batteries are sulphate and I need to equalize charge them, but no idea how to do that.

We’re in a remote area up in Canada, the guy that sold us this setup we later found out has no idea what he’s doing, the company is gone, we kind of got abandoned. The system is a year old, and until recent bad weather and much less sun, everything seemed to be working. I find the Solark manual almost useless, and we never got given any info for the batteries, I just learned recently I should have been checking SG regularly, and adjusting the Solark accordingly. All things he never told us lol.

Wondering if anybody knows the Solark really well, and how I should adjust it and hopefully minimize any damage that’s been done to batteries. Thanks in advance and cheers.

Not familiar with the Sol-Ark specifically, but very familiar with Rolls. You need to charge to temperature compensated 60V.

The Sol-ark SoC is clearly incorrect. It may be configured incorrectly.

Not familiar with the Sol-Ark specifically, but very familiar with Rolls. You need to charge to temperature compensated 60V.

The Sol-ark SoC is clearly incorrect. It may be configured incorrectly.
Right, I did see 60V in one of the settings, I can’t remember off hand which setting was at 60 though (I’m not there right at the moment), and two others at lower number, 54 or something. Absorption, equalize….. I can’t remember, I’ll look tonight. There is a temp sensor in the battery pack, Solark shows batteries at 21 degC. The Solark is compensating for temp automatically, or I need to program it to do that somehow?

I think this is an important part of equalizing when it comes most FLA. Only equalize charge when the Specific gravity is varied by more than 0.25-0.30

Otherwise proper charge voltages and absorption times should keep them stable. Id get the voltages set properly than run the system for a while to make sure. Than if the specific gravity is out of balance. than once the batteries are at a float voltage, than initiate the equalize charge.
Screen Shot 2024-02-10 at 5.56.02 PM.png

Back