diy solar

diy solar

Solark fed into GEN port of 18K

ArthurEld

Solar Wizard
Guys, I am thinking of putting an 18K between my meter and main panel.
Then connecting my Solark into the GEN port of the 18K.
My reasoning is to have whole house backup which requires the inverter between the meter and the main panel. But I want to keep my DIY batteries in a shed away from the house.

I will add a little more info. The 18K will be outside and be connected to 100AH of 48V AGM batteries.

The Solark will be connected to 5 48V 280AH batteries and is in an air conditioned shed away from the house. I also have 30 330W panels in strings that are currently connected to the Solark. The shed will also have 10 320W panels and micro inverters.

I have many options for which panels go to which inverter.

Is there anything wrong with this idea? I would love to hear from anyone who has done something similar. And I would like to here from anyone who thinks it is a bad idea. Or that anyone has a better way to reach my goals of whole house uninterrupted power with batteries away from house.

A couple of people here have taken the output from a 6000xp into the 18kpv so I don't see why not.
I am sure there are more details that will need to be figured out as far as where and how you're connecting and the settings on all inverters involved.

Here's my quick diagram -
I don't have the 18K yet. I only have the Solark.
I want the 18K between the meter and the main panel so I have whole house uninterruptable power.
I need to keep the Solark and LifeP04 batteries in the shed 100' from the main panel.
I could connect some of the solar panels to the 18K but I am not sure if I have to.
1704989902125.png

Ignore what I said. Still not sure how AC coupling works on 18KPV

Last edited:
It's not cumulative. AFAIK. I don't know if I would mix inverters, just me, but I'd put both in the shed, and just run the AC from the shed to an ATS, unless you are trying to grid tie for some reason. I'd try my best to keep it simple and not be too creative. That never seems to work out well. I'm planning on moving everything out to a shed, I'll be running the grid out in one conduit, and then the feed back from my inverter pair in another conduit.

Seems like I started another thread that nobody likes. :( I don't know what I'm doing so I just throw ideas out there.
I will probably just stick with my Solark where it is for now. And it works good.
I see others talking about whole house backup so that's what I want. But the reality is that we hardly ever lose power and I am already the king of the neighborhood when the grid goes down.

Have you tried contacting SolArk to see if it supports an external ATS?

Also look around for the threads where members talk about doing what you want to do with a special interlock plate configuration on the main panel. Basic idea is to have two AC connections to the grid forming inverter. One to charge and one to loads panel.

The loads panel output is cleverly arranged so that interlocks to only be able to be turned on if main breaker and charge circuit are off.

You need main breaker off to avoid backfeeding grid through inverter output.

You need the charge circuit off to avoid looping the inverter output back into itself.

$150 for interlock plates and however much it costs to run the wire to your inverter. It might even be possible to use the same wire with some gumption.

Seems like I started another thread that nobody likes. :( I don't know what I'm doing so I just throw ideas out there.
I will probably just stick with my Solark where it is for now. And it works good.
I see others talking about whole house backup so that's what I want. But the reality is that we hardly ever lose power and I am already the king of the neighborhood when the grid goes down.
I would buy another 12k and just parallel them. I like the idea of complete redundacy.
Second less powerful option is to buy a 15k and sell your 12k once its up and running.

Thanks for the reply Robbie. Do you have 12K? If you do, you are probably having the same thoughts as me.
I am still trying to make the12K do everything I need. The 15K makes everything so simple. But for now, I am working on fixing up what I have. I'm still unsure if I need put an inverter between the meter and the main panel.

Meter <> grid input to 18kpv
18kpv load <> grid input to solark
Solark load <> main panel

On grid:
SA exports excess solar to 18kpv. 18kpv either charges its batteries or exports to grid.
SA draws from grid input. 18kpv either supplies Load line from pv, battery, or grid.

Grid down, no or low solar:
SA has no idea, so operates like on grid - exports excess solar to Grid.
18kpv isolates from grid and charges battery. No excess.

Grid down, excess solar:
18kpv Batteries charged, Reduces Sol-Ark export using frequency shift.
Risk: Sol-Ark continues to produce excess (error on sol-ark). Partial Solution: Put dump load on 18kpv Smart Load.

Alternative:
Put Sol-Ark on 18kpv Smart Load.
Same as above but 18kpv can disconnect Smart Load. Sol-Ark sees Grid Down.
Unknown: How does 18kPV start sending power back to Sol-Ark when needed?
Other Considerations: Power limit on 18kpv Smart Load connection (lower than Load connection).

Requires 3 sets of wires between two 12k's: Grid, Load, Battery.
Lots of people are using that setup on this forum and the manual has an excellent wiring diagram for running two in parallel.
personally I like the idea because of the complete redundancy should one Inverter fail.

Meter <> grid input to 18kpv
18kpv load <> grid input to solark
Solark load <> main panel

On grid:
SA exports excess solar to 18kpv. 18kpv either charges its batteries or exports to grid.
SA draws from grid input. 18kpv either supplies Load line from pv, battery, or grid.

Grid down, no or low solar:
18kpv isolates from grid and charges battery. No excess.

Grid down, excess solar:
18kpv Batteries charged, Reduces Sol-Ark export using frequency shift.
Risk: Sol-Ark continues to produce excess (error on sol-ark). Partial Solution: Put dump load on 18kpv Smart Load.

Alternative:
Put Sol-Ark on 18kpv Smart Load.
Same as above but 18kpv can disconnect Smart Load. Sol-Ark sees Grid Down.
Unknown: How does 18kPV start sending power back to Sol-Ark when needed?
Other Considerations: Power limit on 18kpv Smart Load connection (lower than Load connection).
Thanks for the detailed reply DIYrich. I think that should work. I will probably try it one day.

Thanks for the reply Robbie. Do you have 12K? If you do, you are probably having the same thoughts as me.
I am still trying to make the12K do everything I need. The 15K makes everything so simple. But for now, I am working on fixing up what I have. I'm still unsure if I need put an inverter between the meter and the main panel.
Hi Arthur
You were one of the first people to give me advice when I was looking for an inverter.
Yes I am still running my original 12K from 2.5 years ago. Never had a single issue and have had zero down time.

I honestly have no need to get a bigger system because my house loads never really exceed 9KW of power on the Inverter. All my upgrades have been on batteries Arthur. I am now up to 32 KWh of batteries and my daily load is 50-60KWh. So I am pretty much covered at night.
What kind of power levels are you using at the Peak point of the day?

What kind of power levels are you using at the Peak point of the day?
Hi Robby, My typical day sees a lot of 6-7K surges from my 3.5 ton air conditioner. I am replacing it with a heat pump.
The biggest loads I have are 2 EVs.
I am in the process of putting 2560 watts of solar panels on my shed. I will ac couple those to the Solark and see how that keeps up with my loads.
I am very happy that we can run the air conditioner off batteries. It makes me more comfortable knowing our cats will be ok even if the power goes off when nobody is home. lol

Back